Windy riding habits?

Freddy Snottgrass

Local time
3:30 AM
Today I decided not to ride my MB to work due to high winds in the forecast. Winds so high, every once in a while my work truck, a 2020 Chevy, would downshift to keep my 75 mph cruise control speed on the freeway.

Then all of a sudden this dude on a motorcycle loaded with baggage passed me doing 80! So I'm thinking, as long as you aren't stupid, maybe riding in the wind is more doable on a MB than I thought.

Prevailing winds would be SW to NE on my commute home which is N. In the morning rarely is there wind.

What do you guys think? Opinions?

Edit: Actually it was downshifting when I had the cruise at 65 on a different freeway driving west. The Motorcycle passed me when I was going 75 driving south. Wind blowing ENE about 30mph with gusts of probably around 50

Today I decided not to ride my MB to work due to high winds in the forecast. Winds so high, every once in a while my work truck, a 2020 Chevy, would downshift to keep my 75 mph cruise control speed on the freeway.

Then all of a sudden this dude on a motorcycle loaded with baggage passed me doing 80! So I'm thinking, as long as you aren't stupid, maybe riding in the wind is more doable on a MB than I thought.

Prevailing winds would be SW to NE on my commute home which is N. In the morning rarely is there wind.

It's very doable, it's the side gust that can get you if you are not ready to lean into the wind. I found riding over bridges or overpasses with a unexpected side gust can be scary, but if you anticipate it & are watching weather. You can compensate for the wind. The head winds will definently give the ole M/B a work out thou. I think too the rider needs to adjust to it, & If you dont feel safe about it should abort the mission.

I rode mt Whizzer in 20-25mph winds.
Going against the wind my top speed was 10 mph slower than normal.
Going with the wind my top speed was 10 mph faster than normal.
But the side gusts really are a trip and make ya ride slower anyways to be ready for the gusts.

I would rather not ride my M/B when I know the winds will be 15mph or higher anymore.
I really don't like the side gust feeling on a light M/B
The only reason I rode in 25mph winds before is because I had my Whizzer with me on a RV vacation
I was up in Central CA. by Hurst Castle and I wanted to ride Hwy 1 along the coast
So it was ride that day or miss the chance to ride there. So of course I braved the high winds 🌪️ :LOL:

I grew up a few miles from Highway 1 where it passes through Mosslanding.

No more being a sissy. I am riding that darn thing rain, sleet, and snow... well maybe not in wet freezing conditions...

I try and take pictures of this mountain when I am up here. Usually once a week. I want to gather a year's worth and time-lapse them. Maybe I should mark a spot so I am precise.

DIDyouSEEtheSIZEofTHATchicken.jpg

Idunno how well the dust storm shows... It should be a bright blue sky with a few clouds.

Edit: Actually it was downshifting when I had the cruise at 65 on a different freeway driving west. The Motorcycle passed me when I was going 75 driving south. Wind blowing ENE about 30mph with gusts of probably around 50
Check this out, gusts of wind blew em all over

It's very doable, it's the side gust that can get you if you are not ready to lean into the wind. I found riding over bridges or overpasses with a unexpected side gust can be scary, but if you anticipate it & are watching weather. You can compensate for the wind. The head winds will definently give the ole M/B a work out thou. I think too the rider needs to adjust to it, & If you dont feel safe about it should abort the mission.
Problem is with my bike, it's so light. When the gust get above 20-30 mph, it lifts the bike up and pushes it unless I lean so hard that when its gone I ride off the road. lol. I just slow way the hell down then. I was riding in some 50 mph gust by myself one time. Omg!!! They just came out of no where. Nice sunny day, then suddenly, poof these strong arse winds. The steady 30 I could handle, just lean in. It was the 50-60 mph gust that would lift my bike up, I could feel the suspension raising, and slide me over into oncoming traffic. The old man behind me was blocking the traffic from riding my rear as I was being tossed around like a rag doll.

Back