Winterize or NOT to Winterize

FrizzleFried

Local time
9:18 AM
Hmmm... next week we hit the 30's. I'm not seeing myself riding much for the next couple months after that. But who knows... I'm gunna give it a go bunding up... maybe I'll be all good.

Anyway... I guess there are two ways I can deal with the winter should I decided to "pack it up" for the season.

I could just go out and start each bike once a week for a few minutes... enough to let them warm up...

...or I could winterize them.

NOW, if I decide to winterize... should I follow the same procedure that has been pretty sure-fire for me with my weedeater? Drain the fuel from the tank...from the bowl... and then run until it stops or should I just drain the tank and the bowl? I figure doing so clears out the jets, etc though... right?

Hmmm... next week we hit the 30's. I'm not seeing myself riding much for the next couple months after that. But who knows... I'm gunna give it a go bunding up... maybe I'll be all good.

Anyway... I guess there are two ways I can deal with the winter should I decided to "pack it up" for the season.

I could just go out and start each bike once a week for a few minutes... enough to let them warm up...

...or I could winterize them.

NOW, if I decide to winterize... should I follow the same procedure that has been pretty sure-fire for me with my weedeater? Drain the fuel from the tank...from the bowl... and then run until it stops or should I just drain the tank and the bowl? I figure doing so clears out the jets, etc though... right?
If you "Wuss" out from riding in your "temperate" climate...lol...lol...and decide to winterize, clear the gas lines and drain the tank as well into a good sealed gasoline container...Some people also add gas stabilizer to that gas as well so they can use it in the spring.

I've learned that riding bicycles - motorized or not - on ice is a bad idea, snow is manageable up to a point - they do make snow chains for MTB tires and they actually work - and things get unpleasant when the snow/sleet/rain is coming sideways with 40+mph headwinds drilling them into your face and right through your 'weatherproof' clothes
Other than that, I'll ride in any weather.
Layer like our friend the onion and even sub-freezing temps are ok as long as there's no wind.
If it's REALLY cold, smear some lanolin on any exposed skin.

Back