winterizing your ride

Quadranut

Local time
3:19 AM
well all winter is here and I have been banned by the warden from riding anymore this winter.:poop:

Since this is the first winter for my Honda GX 35 I was wondering what I should do to " winterize " the motor?

Drain and replace the oil is first. Drain the gas tank and pour out the back up tank ( into the wife's car of course ). Dis mount and store the engine inside where it is warm ?

Unfortunately I will be off the bike until the snow melts and the warden gives permission to ride again. I do envy you guys down south LOL.

Lighting and electrical system being built this winter ( something to keep me out of trouble )

Thanks to Sgt Howard, Flattracker and others for some inside looks at how to build a lighting system.

Ride safe all

Red

I wouldn't even take it off the bike. Just keep it out of the weather. Draining the gas and oil is fine. I live in Panama City on the panhandle and its finally staying below 50 degrees all day outside. :) I store my motorized bike in the garage. I don't do anything to winterize it. I have a 49cc thatsdax china girl on a 26" mtn bike. I also currently have a Staton inc robin subaru rear friction drive on the same bike just for storage till i get a cruiser to put it on. Both engines start easy no matter how cold it gets here. If you have to leave it out in the weather, put a tarp over it and tie it to the bike so it won't fly off.

Stay frosty!

James

If concerned about gasoline deteriorating during long time storage, just put recommended amount of Sta-Bil fuel stabilizer into tank.

Using it, I have stored gas engines with gas in over a year. After adding, I either drain carb or run engine a few minutes to insure carb is protected from varnish etc..

4-strokes, as Tans said, "Stabil".With 2-strokers you really need to run the engine dry and do the after-run oil in the plug hole if it's going to be sitting for a long time.

I drain the fuel and float bowl every year on my generator at the end of hurricane season. It fires right up when hurricane season comes around again.

Just a little tip for long term storage, in addition to emptying the tank on the GX35, I empty the fuel lines, carb and primer bulb as well. Loosen the four screws on the bottom of the carb to completely drain it.

Back