Wiring a Rectifier/Regulator?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Before I bought the rectifier from radio shack I bought one of these adjustable regulators, but have yet to try it.
https://www.treatland.tv/trail-tech-voltage-regulator-p/trail-tech-regulator.htm
trail-tech-regulator-2T.jpg

Turns out I was right about increasing the output. I took the r/c car wheel off the generator and tested it. With the bike stationary and revving the engine to turn the back wheel, I got 13vdc from the regulator. After riding to work and home and switching on my battery gauge each time to check the charge, the battery charged about half a volt in 15 minutes of riding. I tried to wall-charge the battery yesterday, but my wall-charger wasn't working. I figured out the problem and now I can wall-charge the battery tomorrow. Once the battery is fully charged, the alternator should be able to maintain a full charge.

@ butterbean; Well that opens a new window. Whats your average cruising speed?
I have a cruising speed of about 25 mph/ 40 kph. Before the RC wheel the light brightened at about 20 to 25 % engine rev's. Now with the RC wheel the light goes bright at about 35 to 50 % engine rev's.
I also thunked about the difference with the RC wheel, which increased the size about x2.? , so it reduced the revolutions by about 1/2 +?
I'm generalizing proportions.

It was charging however, but I also wasn't using the light. Heck I only have one light. I've been in a lull.

My average crusing speed is between 25 and 30mph usually. I think your a/c regulator is whats causing your light to get brighter. I would suggest building a system similar to mine, with a scooter regulator and something to use as a power distributor. My battery charges faster with my headlight off, but still trickle charges even with the headlight on.

owwww.

those lil 4wire RR units, as common on scooters, pitbikes etc...that is the weirdest description of how they work ive read, yet!

ac goes in via two wires, white and yellow.

dc comes out via the other two wires, black and red.

black is universal earth.

the battery is for starter motors, horns, etc.

lights run on AC happily. small bikes use current limited generators, that will produce a fairly constant power output despite changing rpm. they will always dim at idle to a certain degree.

some run lights from the battery, some dont. that lil RR unit is still common to em all!

the regulator requires a minimum of 4 volts more than its regulated output to regulate.

the ac supplied to the rectifier should be at least 20 volts. this is rectified to dc, then regulated to the standard 14.4 volts for charging lead acid batteries.

most bottle dynamos, in my experience, produce 6volts AC... maybe things have changed since then?

but. they are a current limited generator. they are designed to only produce so many volts at such a current at all rpm above a certain lower limit. this is to do with magnet strength, armature core thickness, and number of windings. they produce so much current, then there simply isnt enough magnetic field to produce anymore, no matter how fast you spin them. they wont produce any more WATTS than they are rated for.

only complete reenginering will fix them. change the magnets to windings and pump some current in there!

(interesting to stick a large neo on the casing in certain spots)

anyway, the standard 6vac ...that rectifies to about 7.2 volts DC... which quickly drops when any load is placed on the output... but ok for a 6v SLA.

you could try making a voltage doubler, which lowers the current available again...

regulators. one is a shunt type, one is switched.

the shunt has a standard bridge rectifier, delivering a standard DC voltage. that DC is regulated to a fixed voltage, while excess power is dumped into a "shunt" resistor, producing heat.

the bigger a load you run, the less heat they produce. brilliant :) cheap, common, effective.

a switched regulator uses a bridge rectifier made from FETs. normally, nothings on, theres no output at all. the FETs simply are switched on when required. as soon as the voltage/current reaches required level, FET is switched off again.

its called "pulse width modulation" or "duty cycle regulation" depending on the system.

voltage through an "open" circuit from generator doesnt produce heat.

there is no "dumping" of excess power.

unit runs cool to touch, despite change of load.

expensive :(

for what you guys are doing, a simple diode bridge, and a 7812 regulator, good for 1 amp...

Last edited:
Its a 12v generator, and I paid $25 for it with free shipping on ebay. $8 for the regulator, also free shipping. 12v 1.2Ah SLA battery, $6 with $5 priority shipping. I wasn't aware that my generator was supposed to be "current limited" or whatever. I know that they are designed to produce their rated voltage/wattage at pedal speeds with the size drive wheel they come with. I know with most engines/motors (a generator is a permanent magnet motor) the faster you spin them, the more power they produce. I was spinning my generator slower with a bigger drive wheel in an attempt to keep it from overheating, but it wasnt producing enough generator to get the necessary dc output from the regulator. I went back to the standard drive wheel, and my battery is charging now. I guess I kinda sorta somewhat understand that you're trying to say it shouldn't work (or something, I dont know I guess whatever) but it is working for me, and that's all that matters or not. Whether anyone agrees with my results or not is really kinda irrelevant to me. My battery is charging, and thats all I care about. My brake light was free aside from the led light I installed in it, so not counting what I spent on lights, my entire electrical system cost me less than $50 (to satisfy anyone's curiosity, I spent over $50 on my headlight, $30 for the bucket and about $20 for the automotive led bulb). I would say $50 aint bad for a charging system, especially considering I didnt have to fool with trying to build anything myself, just had to install it and it works just fine for me. And if you count the cost of what I spent on lights, my entire electrical system cost about $100. For a lighting/charging system on a motorbike, I'd call that cheap.

I was out riding yesterday and decided to switch on my battery gauge for a minute. My battery gauge does read the output from the regulator (previously did not think it would), and my "12v" generator is cranking out up to 17v. Must not be very current limited I guess.

@ Butterbean;
I checked bottle alternator with a meter. I ran it just stock from factory. I had to rev to about 3000- 4000 rpm's to get above 14 volts out of it. I think the life span will be reduced considerably for the bottle generator.

Going to have to do extensive searches to find a solution. The only thing I've seen was a generator for a small windmill type thingy. Those will cost more, and require some fabrication solutions also.

I forget what rpm's my bottle generator is running (from pictures, looks like you and I have the same one), but mine doesn't even get hot, spinning twice the rpm's its designed for. It gets a little warm to the touch, but that's not out of the ordinary. I can tell the difference between warm to the touch and overheating (TOO hot to touch). My first generator would often be too hot to touch after just a short ride. The generator I have now rarely gets more than slightly warm. My battery consistently charges above 13v with no overheating issues whatsover, been running fine for over 3 weeks now.

My concern is the size of the bottle unit itself. I don't think their built to go the distance at higher rpm's.

I was however reading about Permanent Magnet Motors that can be used as a generator. Like a blower motor on a cars heater fan.
If their rated at 325 rpm's from a 12 volt system. Then spun at 4000 rpm's they'll produce over 12 volts no problem, and will last a long time. Just have to find a way to run it off the engine, and not the wheel. Might be able to find one at a junk yard. There's also pump motor's from dishwashers. It would be great to have a little motor that ran off a belt. Then one could run lights like there's no tomorrow. Too bad I bought a tiny battery. Probably have to find one from a wheel chair, or back up power supply for computers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back