Wiring a stock motor - Disregard your manual

I have black white blue from motor. Blue black from cdi. My white wire is doing nothing but sitting out right now. I have blue to blue and black to black. My kill switch goes green to black motor and cdi and yellow red to blue motor and cdi. It was working fine but a little boggy at time's but now today just started loosing power while riding and died. Can't get it to start and no spark. Please let me know what I need to do and how to properly wire this piece please. Lol

argh. old thread reanimation. do you eat brains too? :p

meh. first test. remove killswitch. might be faulty.

next test, ground the white wire. sometimes they run when thats hooked to earth. strange huh? wire the killswitch to the white wire like the manual says, and one day it dies and only runs when the killswitch is pressed! it makes sense though once you pull one apart and see how the coils are wound/wired internally.

that doesnt work, get a new magneto...one without the third, white wire... that white wire is a pain in the...behind.

What if I had mistakenly put the kill switch wires Red to black and Black to blue? Will that fry my whole engine???? Will I not be able to use the motor??? HELP PLEASE!!

What if I had mistakenly put the kill switch wires Red to black and Black to blue? Will that fry my whole engine???? Will I not be able to use the motor??? HELP PLEASE!!
no, the cdi is all passive electronics. just switch them back around

here's two alternative ideas for a kill switch. The problem with the normal setup is that there's a high surge of current that flows through the stator coil when you short it out. That can cause a short circuit and lower the output voltage. The top scheme is the one I used for years with no problems. I'm just guessing at the correct value of resistor to use in the bottom scheme. If it don't work then try a 100 ohm / 10 watt resistor.
safekill.gif

Back