With a 36 Tooth Sprocket...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Freddy Snottgrass

Local time
8:10 AM
How slow can you guys cruise? Reason for my asking: I am happy @ 20mph for cruising speed . I currently run a 56 tooth sprocket. I ordered all the parts for my brake system (then I ask questions... so smart of me). I will be converting over to disc brakes. 203mm in the rear with a 36 tooth sprocket. I had a 36 tooth sprocket a couple years ago but I went between 25-30 mph on it constantly (and I was scared the whole time. I would joke and tell people that riding that bike I would always think "this could be my last thought")

So my question. With a modification free, NT carb, well-running, CG 66cc engine, what is your slowest cruising speed on a 36 tooth where you can still hit the gas and have some pick up and go. I guess, with a stock engine and a 36 tooth @ 20mph... if you hit the gas does it bog down or pull you?

How slow can you guys cruise? Reason for my asking: I am happy @ 20mph for cruising speed . I currently run a 56 tooth sprocket. I ordered all the parts for my brake system (then I ask questions... so smart of me). I will be converting over to disc brakes. 203mm in the rear with a 36 tooth sprocket. I had a 36 tooth sprocket a couple years ago but I went between 25-30 mph on it constantly (and I was scared the whole time. I would joke and tell people that riding that bike I would always think "this could be my last thought")

So my question. With a modification free, NT carb, well-running, CG 66cc engine, what is your slowest cruising speed on a 36 tooth where you can still hit the gas and have some pick up and go. I guess, with a stock engine and a 36 tooth @ 20mph... if you hit the gas does it bog down or pull you?
Depends on the engine. Some of these are really nice stock, and others need some work.

I have a lot of hills around here, so I run 44's, 40 at the smallest. I'm usually putting around at 18-20. I can hammer two up to 35 mph( I can also hammer massive hills at 35 mph, even start slow and smash up to top speed). My Jackshaft Bike will do around 50 with it's current gearing ( on flat, slight head wind).

If you want to use a stock 66 with a 36, I'd say go with Bicycle motor works, (or bicycle-engines.com), Zeda engine. I hear a lot of good stuff about them. They sound like they come stock, how I mod mine. I've never bought one, but buy other things from them, good vendors if you like quality and great customer service.

That is good info. I just remember with my 36 tooth before I did a lot of pedaling. I was also on bottom of the line bicycles so I really thought they were gonna fall apart any second. Mainly the cheap MTB suspension forks and how they would buckle when the brake was hit... Anyhow, this Bayside bike I have it on is a lot sturdier and I want to go faster than I am able to. I hit a flat ground 24 mph on a 56 tooth sprocket, she was screaming!

Nah I am just excited waiting for my brake stuff to come in and all of these questions about how it is going to turn out... and I have to wait until Christmas or afterwards due to backorders. This is the little boy in me asking the grownups about my presents.

I run a 44 tooth sprocket on my cruiser bike, I can get 38-40mph balls out. I putt around town at 10-20mph, & can start from a dead stop if i feather/slip the clutch & manipulate the throttle. Lol i know it's hard on the clutch, but had to see if it was possible to take off without pedaling.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back