Wit's end

I do have a new piston head that is in much better shape and much cleaner than the one currently in the cylinder and I plan on installing that. Even though there is no discern able Asymmetry in the new piston head, it has an arrow pointing in one direction along the top. I assume that would point towards the exhaust? in the direction of flow? Also the new stator coil had a blue and red wire soldered on and a black wire with screw loop, I assume the black goes to one of the frame bolts, but then do I still wire black to black , blue to blue, ? I feel like it would have to involve the blue and the red wire
Don't trust the arrow, the piston will have a pin in each ring slot about 90 degrees apart. Those pins go on the intake side of the motor.
The black wire with the loop gets bolted down with the new coil, are both ends free or is one attached to the coil?
If the free end has the loop, then cut the loop off and connect black to black and blue to blue. Cut the red wire off and throw it away.

Don't trust the arrow, the piston will have a pin in each ring slot about 90 degrees apart. Those pins go on the intake side of the motor.
The black wire with the loop gets bolted down with the new coil, are both ends free or is one attached to the coil?
If the free end has the loop, then cut the loop off and connect black to black and blue to blue. Cut the red wire off and throw it away.
The blue wire and the red wire both are soldered to little metal tabs on the coil, the black wire is loose at both ends (one of which is the loop)
I kind of assumed it would be blue to black and red to blue it's just different from what I'm used to but I'm pretty sure that I don't run the black CDI wire straight to the bolted down loop

Last edited:
loop attaches to coil mount screw, black to black red to blue. what are the markings on your rod and what piston are you using? B high hole or A low hole? Not that this is the problem with not starting but it sounds like you have mismatched parts so might as well get them straight.

The blue wire and the red wire both are soldered to little metal tabs on the coil, the black wire is loose at both ends (one of which is the loop)
well that is odd. so they just added a wire with a loop on it attached to nothing? I would say if red and black are attached to separate tabs then black black red blue.

well that is odd. so they just added a wire with a loop on it attached to nothing? I would say if red and black are attached to separate tabs then black black red blue.
yea so black goes straight to the frame. Blue and Red are on the tabs, so I wired it up as if those were black and blue, seems to work fine, nice strong spark outside the cylinder anyways

still won't start though, but I still haven't replaced the piston or changed up the cylinder gaskets but I still can't figure out why it's not starting AT ALL. Like I feel as though I still haven't found the problem and it's quite frustrating because If it gets fuel, air, spark, it should fire, right? but NOT AT ALL??? I must be over looking something

Do you have a picture of the new coil? I got one once where the blue and white wires were soldered together on the coil.

fuel air spark compression and timing. If it's getting all these properly it has no choice but run.

still won't start though, but I still haven't replaced the piston or changed up the cylinder gaskets but I still can't figure out why it's not starting AT ALL. Like I feel as though I still haven't found the problem and it's quite frustrating because If it gets fuel, air, spark, it should fire, right? but NOT AT ALL??? I must be over looking something
I'm scratching my head trying to figure it out. Wish you lived in Prescott. Dumb question but if piston was hitting head could it have closed the elactrode when you put things back together leaving no gap or damaging the porcelain insulator and arching to plug body when installed? Shooting in the dark here.

If the plug is smashed closed, that would be a pretty good reason.

Back