WOAH! $350.00 WAL MART Electric Bicycle

iv talked to 2 people so far they hate them they said

to slow and wont travel far

Yeah I got the Ezip Trailz Womens a few months ago as a tag along for my fam and girlfriend (I ride it too, the pink doesn't bother me).
http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=8467095
I wrote the first review on there if you didn't guess.

I just went out on it to test it's range for Ozzy. I was pedaling normally, not breaking a sweat or anything and I rode 12.5 miles at 15.2mph average speed. I think I could have squeezed an extra mile out of the battery but I decided not to totally drain it and switched over to my secondary battery to high tail home.
Keep in mind I live in a very hilly part of New Hampshire literally a couple of miles away from mount Watatic. I used the motor while pedaling the whole time except for downhill. With the motor alone on the only flat road near my house the bike topped out at 18mph just as advertised. With my secondary currie battery pack my range is probably 25 miles or more if I rode it very conservatively.
Whoever complains about the Trailz is just expecting too much from such a relatively inexpensive product.
I've looked around and there are a lot of upgrade products available for these Currie systems as well. Heftier motors and controllers to be more specific. But I've read a bunch at endless sphere about people who were able to easily convert these into a 36v system as long as you're careful not to ride the motor so hard that it overheats and burns out. Otherwise the controller can handle the extra 12v with no problems and makes these bikes top out around 25. Personally I wouldn't do it just because I always value longevity over performance but when my SLA batteries die I may upgrade the packs to lithium and have incredible range.

Got it yesterday!

I didn't have to paint it. I was looking at the brownish unisex one. Noticed the error just before ordering. WHEW! The mens one is a nice blue, very close to the color I was planning on painting it. I did de-sticker it. I left one sticker on one side of the forks and moved a small one that was on the chain-stays to the upper down-tube. I don't like bikes (or anything) looking like a billboards.
On the box it said endorsed by "Living with Ed" :sick: (Ed Bagley Jr. :sick:). If they are they are appealing to the "green movement". I believe an electric vehicle is somewhat deceiving in my opinion. After all 90% or so of electricity is produced by coal.:eek: Coal is far from green. But I suppose its better than a Hummer. But I digress.
The quality of the bike was much higher than I expected. I thought it was a Huffy with a motor. But it comparable to a Mongoose or a decent Schwinn. The welds look good. The bike alone, not counting the motor, looks to me like a $175 - $200 bike. It came about 90% assembled, it wouldn't call it a kit.
The rear dérailleur is bass akwards. Its on the wrong side and numbered 1 as high and 7 as low:confused: After about 2 min it goes to sleep mode or something. I had to stop and flip the switch in the back a couple of times. Now that think about it I have have panicked and hit the on/off button a bunch after it went to "sleep". That said, it provided a really fun ride!:D It accelerates smoothly. It has the power to beat the infamous "Gully Hill"!:confused: The motor was straining and so was I but it was handily beaten. :cool:
As for the mods I mentioned, there was a couple of hiccups.
A/ the drive-train came assembled so I could do any preliminary mock up and in general check things out before assembling it.
B/ the bike I was planning on using doesn't have suspension forks and I was goin to use the ones of this bike but they are not compatible.
C/ I think It will look much nicer on this platform.
D/ Judging by the way the thing doesn't like to back up. I think the set up will cause a lot of drag, so the motor will have to be on at least a little all the time. Maybe a RH freewheel off of a dirt bike can be adapted. Just a thought, it been so long since I've played around with them.
So, my plans in the near future. I have a mongoose XR 250 with much better parts I can use a a donor. Hopefully the all important 3 spd crank-set can be swapped. SirJakesus also has a XR 75. I believe the crank-sets are the same. Maybe he'll know. If not I'll haul them up to the bike shop. I have to buy tools to remove them anyhow. If they're not I'll look further into GhostO's crank freewheel.

After my initial run its believe its a very good buy!

Last edited by a moderator:
Cool. I wonder how long before Walmart has a gas offering.

I bet it would be within the year or next.

D/ Judging by the way the thing doesn't like to back up. I think the set up will cause a lot of drag, so the motor will have to be on at least a little all the time. Maybe a RH freewheel off of a dirt bike can be adapted. Just a thought, it been so long since I've played around with them.

My older currie electric doesn't roll backwards, very well either.
the reason being, there is a clutched, roller-bearing in the drivetrain. this bearing only works in one direction...it allows the bike to freewheel. (without turning the motor)
when you roll your bike backwards...you are also turning the motor. (backwards)

Back