Engine Trouble Won't start have spark and fuel.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Make sure spark is going thru the plug by testing spark with the plug out but attached to the spark plug wire. Easy 3 min test to verify chamber is getting spark. Also disconnect the kill switch and see wassup. Kill switch could be intermittently killing the spark.

haha I know man, I basically sprayed it down and put it on a DIY bike lift and hooked a drill to the axle to spin the chain through the clutch then to the driveshaft. No bubbles or anything. New gaskets on intake and exhaust with RTV to boot. No chance of an air leak. Even expanded the inlet pipe with a blow torch and some deep well sockets so that it mates to the RT carb really nice. (no the metal did not crack)

You still could have seals leaking air how did you check them,or head gasket.Drill idea is not very safe if it goes to start you could be in a big mess.I still think you will find the reason why it won't start.I would go back and start over on every thing and go one by one again.Trust me spark fuel and air(compression) it should start.

You still could have seals leaking air how did you check them,or head gasket.Drill idea is not very safe if it goes to start you could be in a big mess.I still think you will find the reason why it won't start.I would go back and start over on every thing and go one by one again.Trust me spark fuel and air(compression) it should start.

Timing was 180 off, reversed by blue/black wires so blue was to black and black was to blue and it started up with a little assistance from starting fluid. Thanks everyone for your help!

BTW, that thing took the F off. Way more power than I expected!!

Nice one just the timing! Does anyone know if they test start these engines in the factory? I'm guessing not due to fuel residue and shipping them in confined spaces.

exactly...you can not check for air leaks if the engine is not running.
it could be a blown intake gasket causing an extrmely lean condition.
sure, gas is getting into the float bowl, but are you sure that it's getting into the engine?
A plugged up main jet?
is the choke on?
i know, silly things, but sometimes the silly stuff is what gets you.
it won;t run so you want to dive in and go to the most difficult things.
check the simple stuff first.

even if gas spills out of the top of your tank, that doesn't mean that the cap is vented.
that means that the gas cap seal is dry and possibly rotted.
take the cap off & try it.

you're sure that you have spark at tdc?
how could you see the piston AND watch for spark at the same time?
this is tough to do, and you can't really do it slowly to make sure the piston is at tdc RIGHT when the plug fires.
if it won't run on starting fluid, then you have a timing issue or a MAJOR air leak.
if it runs on starting fluid, you have a fuel issue.

my engine wont work

my engine wont work with the sparkplug in, if i take it out i can spin the pedal and it sounds like its working but when i put it in it like makes a vacuum and i cant spin the pedal or anything, can anyone help

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back