Engine Trouble Woodruff key keeps coming out

If all else fails buy a wider key and sand it down to fit tight in the crankshaft, it should take slight hammer taps to install.

The key can not come out with the gear on, the half moon shape prevents it, if the key fits tight in the keyway. Go to the local hardware store and find a couple of keys, maybe you can find a tighter fit.
already bought another one same issue.

If all else fails buy a wider key and sand it down to fit tight in the crankshaft, it should take slight hammer taps to install.
I did buy another and did sand it but still slips out. I don't think the gear is going farther enough down. If all else fails I'm using loctite

i haven't ran that motor in a long while its in storage now i just put a new keyway in it and stored it sorry. A tack weld near the front of the key when its seated could work but you must be VERY precise when you do it and you got to get thermal shield paste so you dont melt or deform the crank or the crank seals/bearings i was considering it but i never got around to it. Just know this should be a last resort fix if its really messed up i wouldnt recommend it

Last edited:
i haven't ran that motor in a long while its in storage now i just put a new keyway in it and stored it sorry. A tack weld near the front of the key when its seated could work but you must be VERY precise when you do it and you got to get thermal shield paste so you dont melt or deform the crank or the crank seals/bearings i was considering it but i never got around to it. Just know this should be a last resort fix if its really messed up i wouldnt recommend it
Im going to talk to the seller to see if i can get a replacement. This sucks. It was my brother Christmas present. But I'm the only one with the patience and skill to build it.

I did buy another and did sand it but still slips out. I don't think the gear is going farther enough down. If all else fails I'm using loctite
Failed how many times already?
Just use superglue on a clean key and slot.
Also make sure the key slides through the gear slot first and clean out any burrs.

It's going to pop out again,the gear is going far enough on the shaft from what I see in the photo's but the problem is the cranks spacing (side to side) meaning that it's shimed to far to the left of center and now the woodruff key can't sit flush in the keyway,the edge closest to the bearing doesn't clear the bearings inner race and therefore pushes the key out the back side of gear.You would have to split the case and re shim the crank to fix it properly.

had the same issue on my pk 80 the keyway flew out and wedged in between the case and clutch gear locked the rear up on me

Back