Working on my first build. What a pain in the ass!

butterbean This thread is out of control.

Nobody here wants to read this kind of childish fighting.

butterbean take it to personal message if you want to fight.

If you don't like the guy don't comment.

I reported it to Anton and if you keep it up butterbean I hope
Anton bans you.

Two people argue, and yet you blame the whole thing on one person. And expect only that person to get in trouble. You're confusing this forum with the other one.
It is obvious to all that you picked a fight here and you keep coming back for more.

As a long standing member you should know better than to fight with new members.

Knock it off with the personal attacks and insults.

Okay.....I can get this, too.

The problem is when the poster keeps ranting on about 'lazy noobs' or some such crap.

C'mon, butterbean. You've got better things to do. If you decide that a thread ain't worth your time, then just go on your way. You don't need to keep coming back and piling it on. That's what ruins forums.
Well said.

Tell you what, folks. Let's ponder something here. It ought to be useful.

Is there anything so terribly wrong with a newbie coming in and asking for help? Does our answer have to be "Go do your own darned research, ****!" Is that our attitude?

If it is, then what's the purpose of this forum? So that we can all congratulate ourselves on how cool we are? Or maybe we could find a reason that's at least a little better than that. Maybe we'd be here to share info with each other. But only those of us who know quite a bit already. Everyone else can just get lost.

Is that what we want this forum to be?

I vote no. Let the newbies ask questions. If they ask, "What's a wheel?", even that's okay. I say let's answer them. Some of them will pick up on things and become competent MB riders and maintainers one day. Others will fade away. That difference doesn't really even matter.

And it's not like the OP seemed all that helpless. He had troubles. He didn't explain them very well, it's true. But that doesn't matter. Then he came back in a few posts and said that he had sorted out at least some of his issues. We might have made progress on others by now if the thread hadn't gotten de-railed so badly.

So...to the OP.....sorry for the rotten reception you got. How're things going with your bike? Come on back in and we'll see if we can help.

Edit: Sorry. I didn't mean to write anything that the auto-censor would spring on up above. If you read that sentence as, "Go do your own research, Jack!" you'd be in the right ballpark.

I sent the OP a pm apologizing for my behavior and gave him some helpful info on coaster hubs, even though he got a freewheel I told him how to convert the coaster hub to freewheel in case he wants to save the one he messed up and keep it as a spare. Cheaper than buying another brand new wheel. I'm sorry to everyone that I got so irritated. The main point I was trying to express in the first place was this. He was having a problem with his coaster hub. Without knowing anything about how to fix it, maintain it or put it back together, he took it apart and messed it up. Only then did he come here looking for help. My point was that if he had done some research or even come here asking questions BEFORE doing that, he would not have been in the situation he was in. And if he had come here asking questions before taking things apart and breaking them, I'd gladly have told him how to convert the coaster hub to freewheel as I've done it myself and the hub was trouble free after the conversion. I had a genuine shimano cb110 hub and the problem was that the shoes grabbed super hard and I would fishtail. And it wasn't due to improper servicing or insufficient lubrication, as I've made myself an expert on servicing coaster hubs. Shimano makes really good brakes shoes and they take awhile to get worn enough to not grab so hard. Not a problem if it were a pedal bike, but just not safe on a motorbike. So anyway, I overreacted. The thread has been cleaned, I've apologized, we're all one big happy again so lets move on.

recently I've been a stupid noob about my new-to-me Macintosh computer. I asked some questions on the Mac forum that later I saw that there were plenty of answers on the net if I had just looked. But here's the thing; when a problem arises sometimes we humans get stressed and reach out to others to help us. that is natural and normal. Hey I answer basic questions on this forum all the time. I need to kill some time and so why not do it helping others? When the questions are too dumb and lazy we retain the right to goad the noob to be a little bit more responsible as we direct him to the right information.

Your views reflect your maturity. It is something that cannot be bought or even taught but must be learned by having lived many days and years and eventually realizing that it's not all about "me" but it is all about Us.

c'mon butterbean, you're not a dead horse. have some self esteem man. ;-)

Okay.....I can get this, too.

The problem is when the poster keeps ranting on about 'lazy noobs' or some such crap.

C'mon, butterbean. You've got better things to do. If you decide that a thread ain't worth your time, then just go on your way. You don't need to keep coming back and piling it on. That's what ruins forums.

butterbean is cool and all but he has a history of getting his panties in a twist like that

Back