Worksman as the basis for build

ghosteh

Local time
12:45 PM
I'm getting ready to take the plunge and build a BTR or early looking motorcycle. From what I've read, one of the best ways is to use a Worksman Newsboy and lengthen the frame, adding a curved front down tube, possibly from an early girl's bike.

Everyone also seems to praise the Worksman drum brakes, heavy frame construction, big & heavy rims, etc. Honestly, it sounds like the ideal platform to begin modifying. And although I love the pre-made BTR frames and suspensions that you see here, I'm kinda liking the idea of doing this myself... at least to some degree.

So for the guys here who are after that early motorcycle look, what are the best components to start with?

I know that I want a big, heavy bike that closely mimics that BTR look (but I'll be adding large drum brakes). I'm also looking at using my ratty Whizzer as the engine donor, possibly along with a few other components.

Finally, how do these things ride once you do increase the weight, wheelbase, tire size, power, etc.?

yes, will be interested to watch your progress. I am going to start with a pre modded frame & tank, 1. to make it easier 2. because they already look good!
But if those hadnt been available i wouldve had to get one of our local postal delivery bikes & get our local engineer to mod it for me & make a tank.
I admire your skills to do it yourself & look forward to seeing what you will do.
For inspiration I have looked at (LOTS) of pictures.

Back