Wot under load kills motor?

With 125 psi the cyl. sounds like it's still good. Putting the reeded cyl. on the other bottom end could have upped the case pressure enough to pooch the seal and turn up the burners. I guess I'm a bit stuck on the seal because of the heat and erratic behavior. The engine I just built kept pushing out the seal behind the rotor till I put a retainer plate over it. Now it's happy again.
They were both reed valve engines with nearly identical set ups... But you are right, the heat and oddball throttle response is probably seal related, the wet plug is probably because no one can get it working long enough to reliably execute a plug chop that's worth a diddle...

Oh well time for a new motor.

With 125 psi the cyl. sounds like it's still good. Putting the reeded cyl. on the other bottom end could have upped the case pressure enough to pooch the seal and turn up the burners. I guess I'm a bit stuck on the seal because of the heat and erratic behavior. The engine I just built kept pushing out the seal behind the rotor till I put a retainer plate over it. Now it's happy again.
Did you buy or make the seal retainer plate? I'm interested in adding one of these.

Did you buy or make the seal retainer plate? I'm interested in adding one of these.
I would make, thin sheet metal and a large enough OD washer with a big enough ID hole of the right thickness behind the plate, may take some removing of an odd raised hoop around the seal seat I see on some motors.

They were both reed valve engines with nearly identical set ups... But you are right, the heat and oddball throttle response is probably seal related, the wet plug is probably because no one can get it working long enough to reliably execute a plug chop that's worth a diddle...

Oh well time for a new motor.
Mongo like new motor. New motor make Mongo happy.

I get a lot of worn out engines when it's time to replace them, and the retainer was on one of them. It's been laying around for a couple of years and finally found a new home. I thought about the washer thing Jake was talking about between the plate and seal for a bit closer fit to the seal, but it would have to be attached to the plate or it would ride on the rotating shaft and eat the outside of the seal to pieces. I don't know who sells them. If I did I would by a couple to have around just in case. I'm sure it could be easily made.

as a thought, I've been seeing air leaks that are hard to track at the back of the base gasket under the intake

I get a lot of worn out engines when it's time to replace them, and the retainer was on one of them. It's been laying around for a couple of years and finally found a new home. I thought about the washer thing Jake was talking about between the plate and seal for a bit closer fit to the seal, but it would have to be attached to the plate or it would ride on the rotating shaft and eat the outside of the seal to pieces. I don't know who sells them. If I did I would by a couple to have around just in case. I'm sure it could be easily made.
I said if the washer outer diameter should be large enough, as in to sit just inside the groove the seal sits in, it won't jump or rub as long as the inner hole is large enough to not touch...

I hate it when I start thinking what if it's the case gasket by the clutch rod housing where you can't see it.

as a thought, I've been seeing air leaks that are hard to track at the back of the base gasket under the intake
I did the whole fancy right the whole way round, not a leak I can detect on the base but maybe it could be a lack of diligence, it's just after 5 or so leak checks the obvious would stand out, the only part unopened at this point is a clutch cover, and that's because there are bells and whistles hanging off it that are just another annoyance to pull.

Back