Would a 24mm carburetor be too big?

You can probably get an intake adapter for that Dio reed that would allow you to run a Mikuni VM-18 carburetor which is one of my personal favorites. I love Mikuni's and I have one to put on my Phantom for next season if I have the time to get it together.

I am a fan of the real deal but honestly even the cheaper knock offs are usually pretty decent and take the same jets. If you aren't wanting to spend $100-150 on a real one you can usually pick up a quality Fakuni for about 30-40 bucks. example https://www.aliexpress.com/i/3256803767565539.html?gatewayAdapt=4itemAdapt

You can probably find them on Amazon if that is your preference

I have personally never had good luck with the cheap OKO/PWK style carburetors. They are notorious for leaking fuel or air where they shouldn't and the needle and needle valves are well known to be improperly sized causing nothing but headaches when trying to get them to run. This is why I am averse to them. Cheap mikuni knock off's on the other hand have usually been fairly decent. I have a real and fake VM18 in my garage and aside from one or two little tiny things that I know to look for you would be hard pressed to tell the difference between them. The Cheap PZ clone carbs are the same way too and usually fairly solid performers.

You can probably get an intake adapter for that Dio reed that would allow you to run a Mikuni VM-18 carburetor which is one of my personal favorites. I love Mikuni's and I have one to put on my Phantom for next season if I have the time to get it together.

I am a fan of the real deal but honestly even the cheaper knock offs are usually pretty decent and take the same jets. If you aren't wanting to spend $100-150 on a real one you can usually pick up a quality Fakuni for about 30-40 bucks. example https://www.aliexpress.com/i/3256803767565539.html?gatewayAdapt=4itemAdapt

You can probably find them on Amazon if that is your preference

I have personally never had good luck with the cheap OKO/PWK style carburetors. They are notorious for leaking fuel or air where they shouldn't and the needle and needle valves are well known to be improperly sized causing nothing but headaches when trying to get them to run. This is why I am averse to them. Cheap mikuni knock off's on the other hand have usually been fairly decent. I have a real and fake VM18 in my garage and aside from one or two little tiny things that I know to look for you would be hard pressed to tell the difference between them. The Cheap PZ clone carbs are the same way too and usually fairly solid performers.
Yeah definitely getting a knock off is what I would do. If I went for a cheap-o Mikuni on Amazon where could I find jets for it? Would I just look up jets for an actual mikuni?

Yeah definitely getting a knock off is what I would do. If I went for a cheap-o Mikuni on Amazon where could I find jets for it? Would I just look up jets for an actual mikuni?
With the clone carbs it's always a good idea to verify what jets they use because some of the makers will switch things up from time to time. That said both my real and fake vm-18 carbs use the same jets which are the 4/042 main jet and vm22/210 pilot jet.

Just make sure you can find an intake that works before you order one. They don't mount the same as the pwk carbs and instead are designed to mount to a 23mm pipe.

Even though I like flat slide carbs, had one a dirt bike in the past, the off brand ones are not very good. Same deal with the HP carb, I have two that I tried and couldn't get either one to run right.
The PZ19 is the perfect size for an 85cc engine, but you would have to make an intake to fit to your DIO reed. They're not plug and play.
The VM18 is a slide on type carb and similar size.

I have the Zeda DIO Reed cylinder and I saw a carburetor on Amazon that would look great with my bike and is the “newer” version of the OKO and I was wondering if it would be fine to put it on? I have a 21mm OKO on there right now there and it’s running pretty good, although a tad rich because I was stupid and listened to people saying to drill out the hole on the bottom of my carb and am going to have to change it anyway… so for about the same price as the one that I have originally why not get one that could potentially give me more performance and look better? I’m still new to this new set up and big carbs so I’m not too sure if the 24mm would be too big or what…?
Here is the link to the carburetor: PWK 24mm Carburetor https://a.co/d/9GwQZHo
that link has the 21mm version as well

Links to Amazon may include affiliate code. If you click on an Amazon link and make a purchase, this forum may earn a small commission.
Back