Would a rear-rack mount tank work?

MarksA-C

Local time
9:14 PM
I am hoping to motorized this bike in the near future. Its a 60's Columbia bike and it has one of those tank lights. It isn't on the bike in the picture but it makes it so a kit style tank wouldn't fit. So now I am thinking on making (Or finding) a tank to use on the rear rack.

Would there be any problems with fuel getting to the motor? I know 2 cycle kits depend on the gravity fed system for the gas.

CIMG0917.jpg

Any input on this would help.

Thank you

All 2 cycles do not depend on gravity feed. My tanks is lower than the carburetor on the engine. It has something to do with the carburetor. I think it's refered to as a diaphram type carburetor. Not sure. You can do a search on the forum or else where and find out. If the carb has two fuel lines attachments, then it should work so long as the fuel tank is not way lower than the carb, like 6" or there about. I know mine is about 6"-8" lower. In fact, I have a 2 cycle Chinese and a 4 cycle Honda that both have 2 fuel lines and the tanks are mounted below both of these engines. By the way, one line if for fuel going to the engine and the other is a return line back to the fuel tank.

All 2 cycles do not depend on gravity feed. My tanks is lower than the carburetor on the engine. It has something to do with the carburetor. I think it's refered to as a diaphram type carburetor. Not sure. You can do a search on the forum or else where and find out. If the carb has two fuel lines attachments, then it should work so long as the fuel tank is not way lower than the carb, like 6" or there about. I know mine is about 6"-8" lower. In fact, I have a 2 cycle Chinese and a 4 cycle Honda that both have 2 fuel lines and the tanks are mounted below both of these engines. By the way, one line if for fuel going to the engine and the other is a return line back to the fuel tank.

The diaphragm you are talking about is actually a fuel pump (this is why the two fuel lines), there are many, both 2 cycle and 4 cycle engines that use this type, outboards, some lawn mowers, weed eaters, chain saws just to name a few. The HT engine carburetors incorporate a bowl and float and are gravity fed.

Back