Would adding a reed and windowed piston do much on a ported motor? (zeda 80)

Status
Not open for further replies.

extremeodd

Local time
12:23 PM
I've been looking at ways to try to either get some more power out of my motor or simply increase the usable power range.

Currently, I'm running a zeda 80 that's been fairly heavily ported with a wide bore intake, 21mm phbg carb, mz65 pipe, CDH "high performance head". It feels like I've run out of external power adding modifications (other than getting a better pipe) and I need to turn my attention to the inside of the motor.

So I'm looking at grabbing a high pin windowed piston from MZmiami and a CDH Reed with 23mm intake adapter to scratch the itch for now.

My question is: Will this gain any power compared to my current setup? I ride 2-8 miles per day, purely flat ground if that matters at all.

I've read that reeds do more to smooth out the power VS just simply increasing it. However, if it'll help my down low power some, I think the $50 or so would be worth it until I buy the 5mm stroker bottom end from ZMS to throw my top end on.

Links to eBay may include affiliate code. If you click on an eBay link and make a purchase, this forum may earn a small commission.
Links to Amazon may include affiliate code. If you click on an Amazon link and make a purchase, this forum may earn a small commission.
reeds are for window pistons i have both a reed engine and a non reed both work great just depends on your set up

I don't trust zms. My case reed was full of lies.

A reed and larger carb will work well with your mods. You should pick up bottom and mid range. Might want to add a boost port as well. Made a world of difference to my current engine.

He can be real hit or miss it seems, personally I've never had an issue. Would I really need to move up from a 21mm carb with a reed setup? Currently I'm no where near its fueling limits, hell I'm only on an 80 main and it's a touch rich.

After posting this thread I did some more research and found that it's not uncommon to gain 1+hp from doing the swap and tuning for the changes. Totally going to pull the trigger on my next paycheck.

Man I love working on these motors. Out of every hobby I've had over the years, this is by far and in large the cheapest. I'm almost ashamed to say that I've spent most of more on a single laser pointer than I have on any individual upgrade on this motor. The built motor from ZMS only cost slightly more than my best low-end laser did.

21mm should be good.

I love working on them too. So cheap and so easy to make power once you figure out porting and pipes.

ive been running this cylinder for a while now still runs like a pissed off Stihl after i got it tuned that is anyways lol

Attachments

• 15304190756241798795418.jpg
    15304190756241798795418.jpg
    119.2 KB · Views: 666
ive been running this cylinder for a while now still runs like a pissed off Stihl after i got it tuned that is anyways lol
it should have some bridges on the transfer ports or the rings are going to go inside the transfer ports one day i seen the damage that jug design does many times

I'm using the 21mm and a reed setup. Its more than enough.it definately makes the bike more responsive. Runs and drives like a regular motorbike now. I'm with ya I enjoy working on these too. I'm a mechanic and fix cars all day and hate every minute of it. Fixing people's s**tboxes sucks the enjoyment of cars right out of you. I can fix anything on my bike with a handful of tools I can fit into my pocket and not $50+ thousand I have in tools at work in ginormous toolbox. And if it breaks I can carry the engine down into my basement with one hand. A small block Chevy not so much lol. And it's affordable that's the best part. Warp an aluminum big block chevy head and your into thousands of dollars. Warp a China girl head and your out 15 bucks.

it should have some bridges on the transfer ports or the rings are going to go inside the transfer ports one day i seen the damage that jug design does many times
I had one and the chrome didn't last long between the transfers and the boost port.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back