Would this bike work?

J

jimmy

I'm new just wanted to know if this would work saw it on craigslist.
Are the tires too thin? Frame too thin? I need an idea of what to look for.
Im thinking 4 stroke.. but if I have to then chinese.

3035_raleigh_1.jpg

3035_morebikes022_1.jpg

3035_morebikes023_1.jpg

Jimmy,

You could post the Craiglist-Seattle-Bikes link, and the MB.com members could scan the possibilities, give you a top two or three possibilities.

From my angle the frame looks a little thin, just looking at the seat post in the bottom picture.

Irregardless of the engine type you choose, you will find consensus opinion that you will have to swap out the rear spokes for 12 gauge, and you have to have enough clearance on the back to put the thicker wheel.

Here is the link to the Seattle Craigslist for Bikes. If you guys could find a couple good candidates for me that would be great as I do not know what to look for yet :???:

http://seattle.craigslist.org/bik/

I am pretty sure I want to mount in the frame. Are there clutch/gear reduction kits so I can choose a motor to my liking? and do those chinese kits come with most everything needed?

Did you see the one already built? $500 OBO? Wonder what the dealio with that one is. Might be worth taking a test ride, offering $400... :D

http://seattle.craigslist.org/see/bik/375114221.html

That $50 Sherpa at the top of Monday's list didn't have a pic, but I found another picture of a Sherpa...

21_010204010202010300200707140dfb644cf068eb5ac400232f_1.jpg

What's the budget for the bike?

I moved this to "Bikes, Engines.." because it might be a good way for a person new to the MB idea to get off on the right foot as far as used bicycle recommendations.

Post your local Craigslist/bikes so other members can easily click and scan what's available...

lol yeah I saw that yellow one looks like a banana with a motor in the middle :LOL: k not funny

anyways altogether I guess i can go up to $800

but RELIABILITY would be my main concern as this would be my transportation.

Also I want it to look more "power assisted" than a motorcycle if that makes and sense... cus I would be in the outskirts of seattle (lots of neighborhoods and main roads) and I don't want to draw attention.

Way to step up Jimmy, skip the Sherpa.

I have to go buy a 7 speed Sun Retro 7, fully outfitted spokes/saddles you can get them for $250 in Alabama plus $50-75 in upgrades.

Closest thing I found to a $450 Schwinn.

But with that budget, some MB.com member will spot the perfect bike mungst the hundreds listed in Seattle.

Plus there are plenty of members near you...Good Luck 8)

Ok, on this topic, I found a Bianchi Milano on CL and am curious to hear what people think about it:

http://www.bianchiusa.com/06_milano.html

The photograph is zoomable. My gut reaction is that the bottom bar is too thick (don't know what it's called) so something will have to be done to mount the motor.

Second, I'm worried about the internal shifting hub. Searching here shows little information about them, are they robust enough for motorized use?

Finally, the slot for the hub is horizontal, this helps adjust chain tenstion for pedeling. Will the horizontal slots be a problem for the motor?

npk1977 said:
Ok, on this topic, I found a Bianchi Milano on CL and am curious to hear what people think about it:

http://www.bianchiusa.com/06_milano.html

The photograph is zoomable. My gut reaction is that the bottom bar is too thick (don't know what it's called) so something will have to be done to mount the motor.

Second, I'm worried about the internal shifting hub. Searching here shows little information about them, are they robust enough for motorized use?

Finally, the slot for the hub is horizontal, this helps adjust chain tenstion for pedeling. Will the horizontal slots be a problem for the motor?
that is a sweet bike 8)
I don't think the nexus hub will give a problem as it will only be used when pedalling (hopefully, you won't be doing that much)
as for the frame, that shouldn't be a prob either, lots of bikes here have larger downtubes...search motor mounts, and see some of the ways to accomplish this

Back