Would this kit be a good option???

Hubmotor

Do you have someplace to charge that pack at work?? BTW the picture of the bike on that site is showing some sort of lithium pack because SLA batteries are larger than that. I have 14AH batteries and they weigh 29 lbs all by them selves. My hubmotor weighs 19 lbs. all by itself. I love my ebike. I hate it's range. You start losing performance about 3 to 5 miles down the road from discharge with SLA's It's still fun as **** to beat a road bike UP a hill because it is so quiet.

My batteries are now worn out and I have to decide if I am gonna spend 500 plus dollars on a exotic battery pack or 140 dollars on more heavy SLA's .

I do need to get my Ebikes going because I am not sure the train folks will sit still and let me carry a gasser on board.

6 miles each way is doable, just understand the limitations of that setup and be prepared to double your spending on some better battery technology.

Good luck.

I'm a motored bike newbie and still researching to decide on my first purchase, so I can't help with the original question. I just wanted to ask sabrewalt how long your SLA batteries lasted before they wore out. Also what kind of hub motor and controller are you using? brushed vs. brushless, wattage of the motor, and voltage of the controller would be appreciated if you know off the top of your head. And your experience of power depletion after 3 miles, is that 3 miles of no pedaling and full throttle or a more balanced mix?

Sorry about the off topic response, I'm just really interested in getting E-Bike user's experience.

I'm a motored bike newbie and still researching to decide on my first purchase, so I can't help with the original question. I just wanted to ask sabrewalt how long your SLA batteries lasted before they wore out.

16 months... Started getting very hot during charging and ended up boiling the middle battery

Also what kind of hub motor and controller are you usin
Cheap Chinese ****. Bought from kingsmotorbikes for $150.

brushed vs. brushless, - Brushless

wattage of the motor 350 Watts, and

voltage of the controller - 36 volts.

would be appreciated if you know off the top of your head. And your experience of power depletion after 3 miles, is that 3 miles of no pedaling and full throttle or a more balanced mix? -

I always pedeled. Great accelleration for 3 or so miles.. Then level off and stay about good to average accelleration for the next 15 or so miles then lots of sagging.

There are some excellent Ebike sites out there with MUCH better information than I have. I am a hack. Like I said above I love my ebike and if they ever get there act together regarding high density electrical storage, the smoker will go away.....

Sorry about the off topic response, I'm just really interested in getting E-Bike user's experience.

Thanks for the reply. Good to know about the performance drop after the initial few miles. I hadn't yet seen that in any of my research.

This kit from WE is $399 for the extended range version.
Any opionions if this would be a worthwhile kit?

I'm 6'2, 200 pounds, in great shape and plan to pedal along with the motor.
I only have 6 miles to work (one way), and it's relatively flat with one decent hill.

Thank you for your input.

http://largoscooters.com/wildernessenergy.html

Given your requirements and physical condition, the real question in my mind is why you need a motor at all for such a short commute?

This kit from WE is $399 for the extended range version.
Any opionions if this would be a worthwhile kit?

I'm 6'2, 200 pounds, in great shape and plan to pedal along with the motor.
I only have 6 miles to work (one way), and it's relatively flat with one decent hill.

Thank you for your input.

http://largoscooters.com/wildernessenergy.html

the golden eagle bike engine (http://www.bikeengines.com/) kits may be the thing for you. When I first started looking for an mb I looked into electric but I concluded that the tech is not quite there yet (unless you want to pay big money). I got the Robin Subaru EHO35 kit from Golden Eagle and it is pretty amazing.

Yeah, I think I've checked out about every kit imaginable in the last 2 months, and just haven't pulled the trigger on one yet.
I plan to put whichever kit on my Gary Fisher Tassajara mt. bike, and want something that will perform well, not totally bankrupt me, and that won't take forever to get here. The last requirement may be hard to do since everyone is backordered so far... except for the Staton friction drives from what I've heard. They don't seem to be backordered.

Back