Would you believe I'm planning my next build? (4 Stroke Content)

It sounds to me like you just need to adjust the hub bearings. When the brake action gets floppy like you describe its usually loose bearings. Here a a couple of links that should help http://en.allexperts.com/q/Bicycle-Repair-1824/floppy-bendix-brake.htm and http://sheldonbrown.com/coaster-brakes.html

ocscully

Very good!

Well, my plans for the weekend are:

1. Take apart everything and give everything a thorough scrubbing. I'm going to degrease/clean/regrease all the bearings and try to scrub up all the chrome. Right now the fenders are in a sad state, so they're going to be taken off until I figure out exactly what I'm going to do with them.

2. Paint thinner to see the condition of the original paint. I'm expecting it to be bad so...

3. Aircraft stripper to take the frame down to the bare metal. Once I'm there I'll take off any/all rust and fill any divots before priming.

That's about how far I'm planning on getting.

Well, yesterday we tore the bike apart. All the bearings are still in good shape, one even scrubbed up to look like new. But the bearing where the fork meets the tube is shot and lost quite a few balls. But I'm pleased otherwise, I was expecting them to all be pretty bad. They've been degreased and scrubbed. Does anybody know if that bearing would be a special size on a 62 Schwinn or would it be just a normal bearing? I'll take a picture if you need me to.

The frame itself is in good condition rust-wise. But the paint is shot to heck, not worth salvaging. We found a swatch of the original color and it was a beautiful red. Curse whoever thought it would be a good idea to paint it a wretched orange. I bought the aircraft stripper but the weather made it impossible to use. It's simply far too cold outside right now. But the good news is I talked to a friend of mine and his dad did work for PPG (Pittsburgh Paint and Glass) and he could get me some of their primo car paint for free! He would get me their heavy duty primer, the metallic topcoat, and their highest quality clearcoat.

In my school we have spray booths with exhaust systems and air hoses coming down from the ceiling, so we can paint it there without a problem. I need to get my hands on a gun, though. The color I chose is this beautiful metallic blue. It'll look wonderful when I clear coat it.

I have a picture of the frame by it's lonesome, but I have to wait for Taylor to upload it.

The last time I needed a new bearing , I took the "good" one with me to the bike shop. They had a big clear case w/lots of different bearings. Just had to match it up. Was like 3 bucks.

Kinda off topic now but found this today while searching for brakes. Sadly the site that sells it only ships within Canada.

Attachments

• springer20caliper20bolted20on.jpg
    springer20caliper20bolted20on.jpg
    77.5 KB · Views: 294
The last time I needed a new bearing , I took the "good" one with me to the bike shop. They had a big clear case w/lots of different bearings. Just had to match it up. Was like 3 bucks.

Kinda off topic now but found this today while searching for brakes. Sadly the site that sells it only ships within Canada.

Those are sooooo coooooool.

But unfortunately I can't even get them.

I'm thinking of making a kind of sort of compromise in the form of a triple tree style mountain bike suspension fork. I know it kind of ruins the look, but I figure if I take the black plastic things off and replace them with a spring or something, it could look cool. Is that even possible? This has a few advantages. I can use a sidepull, which is a pretty competent brake and isn't expensive, and I have the benefit of a good suspension. This is the fork in question. If I buy it I can paint the aluminum to match my frame. I just hope my tube is 1 1/8".

http://bikebuyers.com/PART-1S-002.htm

I think that fork would look cool on your bike. I would go with V-brakes rather than side pulls.

Wow, nice find. Thats a cool looking fork, too bad it wont fit mine.

edit: I second the v-brakes and a fender. Your chrome one will look good.

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow, nice find. Thats a cool looking fork, too bad it wont fit mine.

edit: I second the v-brakes and a fender. Your chrome one will look good.

Sorry, I meant v-brakes. All those brakes get kind of ambiguous to me, I'm just a newfound bikeaholic.

Edit: A quick measurement shows that it will infact work. Do you guys think the shocks will work the same without those black plastic coverings? Or are they just to keep the shocks from getting dirty?

Last edited:
My guess would be that they are to keep dirt out of the works, but there's no tellin' what it looks like without them. Do they cover springs? The space where one tube slides inside the other? Or hot pink elastomer bushings? Be careful during disasembly.

My guess would be that they are to keep dirt out of the works, but there's no tellin' what it looks like without them. Do they cover springs? The space where one tube slides inside the other? Or hot pink elastomer bushings? Be careful during disasembly.

It's a nonissue now... Taylor can't use a ruler and gave me a lousy measurement on the tube. Turns out my schwinn has a 1 inch steer tube.

That limits me to pretty much...springer forks and tree forks. I really need to figure out some sort of braking mechanism now.

Back