Would you believe I'm planning my next build? (4 Stroke Content)

Local time
7:11 PM
Well, we just finished our last bikes and they're hardly broken in, and now I'm planning my next build. I'm sick, I know but I have my reasoning. My bike is going to be my absolute number one form of transportation. It's my only way to get around. Our last builds were diamond frames with skinny tires. Although the diamond frames made engine mounting easy, the skinny tires are just a little too skinny for riding in any form of inclement weather. They're pretty much summer bikes.

So right now we're just testing the waters, getting some ideas down for the next build. I think Taylor wants to build another 2-stroke happytime. I'm considering a 4 stroke this time around. Taylor's really into the 2 stroke look, but I want to venture into 4 stroke territory. My initial concept was to make a military-esque 4 stroke cruiser with this frame:

http://bikebuyers.com/GL-bc-07-army-photos.htm

I wanted to get a custom tank in the shape of a barrel and mounting it behind the seat. But at the same time, it wouldn't be entirely feasible or practical.

A. The frame probably wouldn't fit a 4 stroke.
B. The tank would prevent me adding a rear basket for hauling.

So I think that concept is practically scrapped. So after getting past the whole concept of strictly aesthetics, I compiled a list of things that I feel I need to have in my next build.

1. Chunky, wide, good tires.
2. Very competent braking (Disc perhaps? Drum?)
3. Vintage looks. I want to make it resemble motorcycles of yesteryear.
4. Comfort, shock absorption.
5. Weatherproofing.

I am willing to put more into this bike, and I want it to last me over the next several years. This is going to be the one. The first step would be finding a good frame. I'm still a poor college student, so those ultra expensive Felt frames are still kind of out of my league. I want to get the best bicycle to start with for under $200. I guess for riding comfort a set of springer forks or Mountain Bike shocks are a must. I really don't need a cruiser frame, but if anybody could recommend a good mountain bike frame with shocks that isn't gaudy as all getout, that could make a good base for this project.

At this point I'm more or less thinking out loud. This thread will just compile my meditations. More ramblings soon enough.

MBC EDIT: THIS THREAD HAS BEEN MOVED

Last edited by a moderator:
Okay. Things I've determined from my research.

1. Brakes: Disc brakes can be a bit expensive and require a fork that's meant for their inclusion. So they're kind of out. Drum brakes require an entire new wheel for their inclusion, I can probably get them for 100 bucks. The advantage of both drum and discs are they don't lose stopping power when it gets wet. I think that I am going to go with a setup that includes front and rear v-brakes on a double brake lever with the coaster brakes on the bike. I think these 3 working together could stop me pretty well.

2. Frame/Bike/Suspension. I think I found one right here. It's the right style, looks nice, has springer forks. Would a 4 stroke fit on this frame and would it be strong enough?

http://bikebuyers.com/pantera-gts-man.htm

http://bikebuyers.com/pantera-gts-man-photos.htm

It's a solid steel frame. I'd probably get the red or black one.

Last edited:
I think that I am going to go with a setup that includes front and rear v-brakes on a double brake lever with the coaster brakes on the bike.
oops! had to edit this...no way (i think) you put anything but a drum on that springer :oops:

but, on a regular frame, your setup is a winner :)

This is on a schwinn cruiser,
The 4 cycle install on an aluminum crusier frame.
1609_PHOTO2_1.jpg
1609_PHOTO4_1.jpg

Papa

oops! had to edit this...no way you put anything but a drum on that springer :oops:

but, on a regular frame, your setup is a winner :)

So, the springers are going to restrict me to just a drum? The reason I was going for the springer is because it looks so darn cool, and because I thought it would help with shock absorption. I could go with a regular frame AND save some money if you think that I should scrap the springer fork in favor of a cheaper braking system.

Papasaun, that cruiser is absolutely gorgeous. How does it feel compared to a HappyTime? Less vibration?

Last edited:
Lots less vibration. My HT engine was on a MTB frame and I had to lean over too much, the cruiser let me sit up right, and was a blast to ride! Sold it though so can't offer more than that. I too wanted / needed to haul stuff on the back and this setup worked good for me but, I next went with a rack mount Staton with a 4 cycle Honda and gear box. Took it off my MTB and stuck it in (frame mount) my trike. Never going back to a HT engine again! I love the 4 cycle Honda.
You could get a small trailer and use it to haul stuff and go with a rack mount! If I had stayed with a 2 wheel bike that is what I was considering.

Papa

Lots less vibration. My HT engine was on a MTB frame and I had to lean over too much, the cruiser let me sit up right, and was a blast to ride! Sold it though so can't offer more than that. I too wanted / needed to haul stuff on the back and this setup worked good for me but, I next went with a rack mount Staton with a 4 cycle Honda and gear box. Took it off my MTB and stuck it in (frame mount) my trike. Never going back to a HT engine again! I love the 4 cycle Honda.
You could get a small trailer and use it to haul stuff and go with a rack mount! If I had stayed with a 2 wheel bike that is what I was considering.

Papa

That's exactly what I wanted to hear. I don't need to haul a whole lot, maybe a toolbox full of art supplies (I'm a design student), so a rear basket will suffice. Mind if I ask what kind of braking system you had? Just front and back v-brakes on a double lever?

Yes, just V brakes front and back but, they each had their own lever. The 4 cycle I used has the auto clutch! It really was smooth. That bike came from Walmart (online order only) aluminum frame, $130.00. Its the "point beach" model.

Papa

So, the springers are going to restrict me to just a drum? The reason I was going for the springer is because it looks so darn cool, and because I thought it would help with shock absorption. I could go with a regular frame AND save some money if you think that I should scrap the springer fork in favor of a cheaper braking system.
after a year.5 of riding, building, experimenting, etc...i wouldn't trade anything off at the expense of braking. as far as i know, the only suspension setup that accepts a rim-brake is a mtb-style fork with the crossbracing. the springer itself has no place to install any kind of brake, but that's ok because a drum-brake requires no special fork. i figured i'd pipe in before you got all yer parts together and then discovered the "bad news" about the springer.

your concept of "coaster/2 rim-brakes/dual-lever" is brilliant because of the redundancy...which is lacking in a "2 rim-brake/dual lever" setup...altho i myself used that setup (and loved it), i can no longer recommend it after MotorBikeMike chased us around the board pointing out the redundancy issue. the setup works, but it does so at the rider's (full-time) risk.

i think (strictly my opinion) you might find the stock "scwhinn-style" springer to be just a tad squooshy at 30mph...and it might be even more squooshy with a brake, who knows? i've had the chance to compare these to an original (mid 60's) scwhinn springer, & there is no comparison...the after-market version doesn't come close.

i'll just leave it at that for now...did this help? more questions?

after a year.5 of riding, building, experimenting, etc...i wouldn't trade anything off at the expense of braking. as far as i know, the only suspension setup that accepts a rim-brake is a mtb-style fork with the crossbracing. the springer itself has no place to install any kind of brake, but that's ok because a drum-brake requires no special fork. i figured i'd pipe in before you got all yer parts together and then discovered the "bad news" about the springer.

your concept of "coaster/2 rim-brakes/dual-lever" is brilliant because of the redundancy...which is lacking in a "2 rim-brake/dual lever" setup...altho i myself used that setup (and loved it), i can no longer recommend it after MotorBikeMike chased us around the board pointing out the redundancy issue. the setup works, but it does so at the rider's (full-time) risk.

i think (strictly my opinion) you might find the stock "scwhinn-style" springer to be just a tad squooshy at 30mph...and it might be even more squooshy with a brake, who knows? i've had the chance to compare these to an original (mid 60's) scwhinn springer, & there is no comparison...the after-market version doesn't come close.

i'll just leave it at that for now...did this help? more questions?

Thanks augi, I'm opting against the springer fork for just a straight fork. Finding a cruiser with any other kind of shock absorption is probably rare, so I can deal with not having it. You're right, braking is much more important, especially due to my current city-bound situation.

What are the disadvantages of having a redundant braking system? What risks would be caused by having a redundant v brake setup besides the fact that I might have a bit more trouble stopping when it gets wet? I'm kind of adamant to spend that much on a front drum.

I'm going to be checking out some old cruisers at a friends house today.

Back