WOW!!! CA is confussing

Discussion in 'Laws, Legislation & Emissions' started by LabDude661, Oct 13, 2008.

  1. LabDude661

    LabDude661 New Member

    I thought I had the CA thing figured, Then I found this website.

    Correct me if I'm wrong but that says all we need is a bicycle helmet and no special licence! I got mine registered and everything already and I've been riding around with a DOT helmet. :shock:

  2. TwoWalks

    TwoWalks Member

    Not really complicated: the section in Bold covers gas powered bicycles Section 406(a) and the rest covers Electric bicycles Section 406(b) .

    What is a moped or motorized bicycle?

    * There are two types of motorized bicycles, defined in the California Vehicle Code (VC) Sections 406(a) and 406(b).
    * Section 406(a) VC refers to a moped or motorized bicycle as any two or three wheeled device having fully operative pedals for propulsion by human power, or having no pedals if powered solely by electrical energy, has an automatic transmission, and a motor which produces less than 2 gross brake horespower and is capable of propelling the device at a maximum speed of not more than 30 miles per hour on level ground.
    * Section 406(b) VC refers to a motorized bicycle as a device that has fully operative pedals for propulsion by human power and has an electric motor that:
    o Has a power output of not more than 1,000 watts;
    o Is incapable of propelling the device at a speed of more than 20 miles per hour on level ground; and
    o Is incapable of further increasing the speed of the device when human power is used to propel the motorized bicycle faster than 20 miles per hour

    If it burns gas you need a DOT approved helmet - if it is electric you need a bicycle helmet.
  3. LabDude661

    LabDude661 New Member

    Aw yes. It does say that 406 (a) needs a DOT helmet and an M-2. Cool, I'm glad I got it registered then. There is a group of people on craigslist that are fighting the legality of selling these as motorized bikes instead of motorcycles. They're contention is that anything above 50cc is a motorcycle, end of story. I haven't found anything in the state law that says anything about the displacement of the engine determining the type of motor vehicle it is accept for the 150cc threshold for motorcycles. I know there is a federal 50cc statute of some kind but how many people here have been pulled over by the FBI? I know I'll end up getting answers from both ends of the argument but am I wrong on any of my assumptions;

    1)I have a motorized bike/moped. It meets all of the criteria and has been registered with the state as such. 2) I display a state permanent moped licence plate. 3) I wear a dot approved helmet. 4) I have a CA m-2 endorsement on my drivers licence. 5) I have a headlight, taillight, and mirror. 6) I can only drive in the bicycle lane when it is a part of the main road. I am not allowed to drive on bike paths. 7) I cannot drive faster that 30 mph.

    I'm under the impression that I am legal beagle accept for the fact that I do not have a brake light. I don't worry too much about that. Am I wrong about any of these facts? I think I read somewhere once that they might want turn signals but I know it's legal to use hand signals. I don't want to sell my bike to someone, give them this info and then when they get a ticket come telling me I'm an idiot.
  4. TwoWalks

    TwoWalks Member

    As far as my knowledge of the topic has gotten me - You are good to Go:grin:
  5. Mountainman

    Mountainman Active Member

    ride that motorized bicycle thing

    I think that anything between 2hp and or 160cc is a
    motor driven cycle

    what exactly cc = 2hp -- not sure -- guessing around 40cc ??? all vary

    motor driven cycle can NOT go on the freeway

    2+hp or 40cc and up to aprox ?? cc with pedals == mophead

    under 2hp == motorized bicycle

    thus those mentioned above on craigslit -- got it pretty close to correct...

    ride that thing
    Last edited: Oct 14, 2008
  6. sabala

    sabala Guest

    Hmmmm, I just found out that in CA all bicycles are supposed to be licensed...did not know that!

    Completely unenforced though, just thought that was interesting.
  7. Mountainman

    Mountainman Active Member

    ride that thing -- 3 years ???

    there was a time when bicycles were licensed at fire stations in Calif
    that was really the best for many reasons
    I think that most fire fighters enjoyed it
    and it gave people a chance to talk with firemen and firewomen - firepeople
    make sure that we are all correct there

    those bicycle licenses were good for life time

    noticed that the ones mentioned are good for only three years

    I am a retired civil servant -------- ok

    question -- what goof ball civil servant thought that up ????????

    ride that thing