Wow I'm a n00b

katamaritaco

Local time
2:52 AM
Hi there!
I have wanted a motorized bicycle for a long time now but never had any funds. Now I have a job and would really like one! The only problem is is that I have no idea where to get one, how to build it, how to get parts, the laws, everything! I believe if it's under 50cc I can drive it without a license. I live in Menasha Wisconsin and I'm 15. If somebody could please lead me in the right direction I would greatly appreciate it.
Thanks!

Sorry You are a MOPED in The Cheese State

Google is your friend

Wisconsin motorized bicycle laws

http://www.dot.state.wi.us/safety/vehicle/bicycle/

What is a bicycle?

A bicycle is defined by Wisconsin law as a "vehicle propelled by the feet acting upon pedals and having wheels any two of which are not less than 14 inches in diameter."

The legal definition of bicycle in Wisconsin does not include very small two-wheeled bicycles, tricycles or motorized bicycles.

You are a MOPED in The Cheese State

http://moped2.org/laws/Wisconsin.htm

Moped" means any of the following motor vehicles capable of speeds of not more than 30 miles per hour with a 150-pound rider on a dry, level, hard surface with no wind, excluding a tractor, a power source as an integral part of the vehicle and a seat for the operator:

(a) A bicycle-type vehicle with fully operative pedals for propulsion by human power and an engine certified by the manufacturer at not more than 130 cubic centimeters or an equivalent power unit.

(b) A Type 1 motorcycle with an automatic transmission and an engine certified by the manufacturer at not more than 50 cubic centimeters or an equivalent power unit.

"Motor bicycle" means a bicycle to which a power unit not an integral part of the vehicle has been added to permit the vehicle to travel at a speed of not more than 30 miles per hour with a 150-pound rider on a dry, level, hard surface with no wind and having a seat for the operator.

No person may operate a moped or motor bicycle unless the person possesses a valid operator's license or a special restricted operator's license. A license under this paragraph does not authorize operation of a moped or motor bicycle if the license is revoked, suspended, canceled or expired. The permit for moped and motor bicycle operation shall be valid for 6 months and entitles the permittee to operate a moped or motor bicycle subject to restrictions specified by the department by rule.

No person operating a moped or motor bicycle may go upon any expressway or freeway when official signs have been erected prohibiting such person from using the expressway or freeway.

For the purpose of parking, mopeds and electric personal assistive mobility devices shall be considered bicycles. Where possible without impeding the flow of pedestrian traffic, a bicycle, moped, or electric personal assistive mobility device may be parked on a sidewalk. A bicycle, moped, or electric personal assistive mobility device may be parked in a bike rack or other similar area designated for bicycle parking.

No person shall ride any motorcycle or moped while in a side-saddle position.

wow I'm sorry, I totally did not understand almost any of that. Does this mean that if it cannot go 30 mph that I can legally drive/ride it?

as far as speed goes it means you cant exceed 30mph, generally that is very fast for a bicycle. i mean unless your bike is specially built, speed above that will overtax the limits of the bike. i notice a lot of people head for walmart to get the cheapest bike and then want to put the most illegal and fastest motor possible on it. i think those guys should get a motorcycle and fulfill their desires. good luck with your project. mitch

I am not a lawyer But I will try to explain.

The first link defines what a bicycle is NOT.
The legal definition of bicycle in Wisconsin does not include very small two-wheeled bicycles, tricycles or motorized bicycles.
If you add any motor to a bicycle it is not a bicycle any more in Wisconsin.
The second link defines what a MOPED is in Wisconsin.
"Motor bicycle" means a bicycle to which a power unit not an integral part of the vehicle has been added to permit the vehicle to travel at a speed of not more than 30 miles per hour with a 150-pound rider on a dry, level, hard surface with no wind and having a seat for the operator.

You need a valid operator's license or a special restricted operator's license in Wisconsin that is only good for six months at a time.
No person may operate a moped or motor bicycle unless the person possesses a valid operator's license or a special restricted operator's license. A license under this paragraph does not authorize operation of a moped or motor bicycle if the license is revoked, suspended, canceled or expired. The permit for moped and motor bicycle operation shall be valid for 6 months and entitles the permittee to operate a moped or motor bicycle subject to restrictions specified by the department by rule.

I do not know how old you need to be to get a valid operator's license or a special restricted operator's license.
Your statement I believe if it's under 50cc I can drive it without a license. is not true

You should contact a DMV office in Wisconsin to find out what you need to take the license test before You spend any money on a motorized bicycle.

Back