WOW!! look at this sidecar

S

SlicerDicer

http://www.schwinnbike.com/heritage/showthread.php?t=36149

I think I am going to have to do something like that :eek:

Now for the insane side of things :devilish:

Would it be possible to put a engine on both the bike and sidecar? As in 2 engines for more vroom vroom power to haul 2 people easy? This is of course only if needed... I am just wondering if it would be impossible to time the engines to work in unison to pull at once.

yeah the neat thing about that sidecar is that it actually allows the bike to lean! I do have some compressed gas struts from my Audi. They hold the hood up would be enough I think to allow me to lean without crushing :)

The struts may be dead that were for the car but they will restrict the movement allowed.

i just put the link in to further the discussion.

properly "tuned", i think the gas-charged strut is a good idea, sorta help keep you upright, absorb bike/sidecar vibration, and help control lean when needed 8)

Yeah I was noticing on that sidecar that there was looked like tierod ends for a car. Anyway the lower ones I could replace one of those with the gas strut. Then above I could put one so they are opposing forces that create a stable non tugging setup?

a brake lever that pulls two cables at once could be used to control the throttles of both engines. It would need some balancing in the length of the cables to get it right, though.

JosephGarcia said:
a brake lever that pulls two cables at once could be used to control the throttles of both engines. It would need some balancing in the length of the cables to get it right, though.

I was thinking of using the stock accelerator and a cantilever yoke to allow both to be pulled at once. This would require some barrel rollers to make it smooth I think but it would work? Then I could just use a single cable for the clutch/throttle.

What do you think?

I like that link Augi,Bird did some nice work.It looks more like a sidehak for racing than a side car very cool. That gives me an Idea :eek:

^IMHO... No way, 2 cables and one handle is a must... if you try to use one cable for both I fear you will rob yourself of the ease of barrel adjustments for each cable... if you are trying to adjust 1 cable for 2 motors then every adjustment will have to be directly offset by an adjustment for the other... essentially you would be fine tuning from the very start of the project and forevermore, instead of just a bit at the end and a little every so often...

SlicerDicer said:
JosephGarcia said:

I was thinking of using the stock accelerator and a cantilever yoke to allow both to be pulled at once. This would require some barrel rollers to make it smooth I think but it would work? Then I could just use a single cable for the clutch/throttle.

What do you think?

Where would you mount that? The dual pull lever is good becuase you can route each cable individually to each engine, taking whatever path is most convenient.

With that yoke you will have to find some place to mount it, and then continue to route the cables after that. I guess it could work. Seems harder though.

I say this becuase from the cantilever yokes I see on google images, it seems hard to mount in any place other than for the brakes.

Back