WOW power

C

Cookie

For the last few months my bike was running slower and getting harder to start and it looked like she was blowing oil.
I took my glasses off and took a good look at he engin and the gaskets looked gummy so I ordered a gasket set from Gurbee ......the weather has been wet and cold so I brought the bike in and an hr later replaced all the gaskets and waited for a sunny day.

The day came bright sunny in the mid 60's so I got on the bike she was a little slow to start but then she came alive and wow what a difference she had pick up like she did when she was new and just wanted to run with no fighting sucking or sputtering. Now I have to break her in again and she will be good to go.

If you notice your bike running weird and trying ti bind down check the gaskets if they look like old used gum get a gasket kit and change the gaskets it will suprise you it is a cheep and easy fix.

What gaskets specifically? There are many gaskets on this engine and your post is a little vague. The only gasket that I have to replace in 3 years is the intake gasket and headgasket only when I pull the head to take a peak inside. Other than that, the other gaskets have held up perfectly without any problems.
As for the intake gasket, I don't even use the factory one. I cut my own and they seem to last forever.

LF and SKY

LF I have way over 4,000 miles on my bike

Sky it was the head gasket and of course the muff gasket just for s&g I also cleanded out my muffler it was gunked up a little.

Wow. More evidence these Happy Times will last forever if you take good care of them.
May you go 4000 more miles!

How did you clean the muffler?

If it's the one with the removable end (flat on the exhaust pipe end, phillips head screw & nut on opposite sides) remove the screws (Don't lose the nuts!)
and grasping the exhaust pipe tip on the end, slide the entire assembly out..

Using a stiff brush, and carburetor cleaner, scrub the inner tube, and baffle section, cleaning off the gummy residue caused by unburned oil.

I've had to do this with my HT-73 already, and the entire muffler of a 1999 TOMOS Targa (especially after the Targa developed a leak between the transmission and the crankcase.. Dexron fluid doesn't burn so clean.)

re-assembling the muffler, simply re-insert the assembly, and using a piece of coat-hanger wire (roughly 14-Ga. AWG) line-up the screw holes. re-insert the screws, and put the nuts on the inside (facing inward at the exhaust tip.)

It's relatively simple. Kinda wish repairing a muffler on a car was as easy.

Stephen

Back