Wrist Pin Circlip (upgrade?)

Status
Not open for further replies.

FurryOnTheInside

In Memoriam
Local time
3:20 PM
Is it just me and my terrible technique and ineptitude, or is the G shape circlip a total pain in the proverbial? I just don't fancy struggling to get my top end together and then not entirely trusting it.

Would it be a good idea to use the kind with the two little holes for circlip pliers instead? Has anyone done this, or felt any need to?
images.jpg

Looking at the circlips available on the net it sems like no one is using the G shape circlip. Even the last one (bottom right) on this chart actually has two bits to get hold of.
373481815_714.jpg

they used to ship china girls with the ones on the bottom right, not sure when that changed. none of the engines in my stockpile have those.

I'm a fan of spirolox rings. they seem to grab better than anything else and are easy to install.

standard clips work just fine if they get installed right - once in, test to see they turn easily in their slots - if they don't turn, you have them in crooked

they used to ship china girls with the ones on the bottom right, not sure when that changed. none of the engines in my stockpile have those.

I'm a fan of spirolox rings. they seem to grab better than anything else and are easy to install.
Yeah the G shape just makes no sense to me and I struggled pulling it out of my piston.
What's a spirolox ring... Hang on I'll Goggle it. Oh those things! You put them in (and take them out) with an o ring hook whatsit? Edit: I don't seem to be able to get the Spirolox so I'll just buy the ones with two holes and use circlip pliers.
I'm not an engineer, you can probably tell, haha. :oops:

Can you tell me what size it would be listed as please? Edit: I believe it is 11mm

Last edited:
standard clips work just fine if they get installed right - once in, test to see they turn easily in their slots - if they don't turn, you have them in crooked
I think there's a knack, but I do not have the knack! :oops:
I was thinking about trying to turn the G shape into the other shape (bottom right of the chart) to make it a bit easier, but I'd rather just throw it out and use something that already comes with two bits to grab so it can be squeezed without any skill! :confused:

I wouldn't suggest trying to bend them, they're made of spring steel so you'd need to anneal it before bending and then harden it again before tempering to final hardness. it's a huge pain in the ass on something that small, they cool down before you can quench it.

I wouldn't suggest trying to bend them, they're made of spring steel so you'd need to anneal it before bending and then harden it again before tempering to final hardness. it's a huge pain in the ass on something that small, they cool down before you can quench it.
Yep, it looked like more trouble than it's worth so I have ordered the ones with the holes (second on the chart), the only kind I can find anyway. :)

I have just started putting the top end back together, and after modifying the circlip pliers (lol its. every. single. thing!) I found that my new 11mm circlips wouldn't fit in the hole, even fully compressed.
So I carefully ground a little out of the gap and a little from around the edges too.

_20170818_212742.JPG

Even though they only just fit into the piston now, I am worried I might have gone too far because once in place in their groove the circlip can be spun around easily in its groove.

I have another two circlips spare. Should I have another go at this and instead just take more material from the gap and none from the outer edge?

I'd advise re-examining your reason for not using the ones that come with the kits. Except when installed improperly, they seem to work very well.

I'd advise re-examining your reason for not using the ones that come with the kits. Except when installed improperly, they seem to work very well.
Well, you have avoided answering my question at all there! :p

I have no idea what the technical difference is that would be the basis of choosing different kinds of circlips lol. I have never seen the G shape used on any other engine, or anything else ever. o_O
And I just can't get along with those ones. With only one bit to get hold of my pliers either slip off or just turn it around without compressing it. I'm bending over the bike, I have to fight with it, trying to compress it against the piston instead of compressing it first and then placing it inside. It just makes me feel frustrated, especially in the heat of summer, and makes me think that there must be a more enjoyable and relaxing way of doing top end teardown and rebuild. :rolleyes:
I can't even buy circlips like the G shape kit ones and this type I have now does seem to be normal a piston, so I'm sure this type can work.

I'll have another try at making the gap larger but not changing the outside at all, because I have a niggling doubt about the circlip being able to turn quite so freely in the groove.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back