Wrong welder plugin?

Local time
10:18 AM
Hey I have a Chicago welder that is 240v can I chop the plug and change it to a 120v plug...

I see a lot of the older generation chop/ make home made adapters. Some even bend prongs to make it fit.

OK tough guy, well I have a 30app adapter for my rv now the question is how many watts is this ...

1518368438248-1181849919.jpg

I think you are just messing with us. You know nothing about welding, that's for sure. Do whatever.

Which makes it about a quarter of what you need, honestly don't start f***ing arpund with that unless you have a dedicated 220 or know how to safely hook up switchers, which being in an rv kinda crimps that idea, you'll need 4 separate 110ac sockets on 4 different 30 amp breakers and some heavy cycle mosfets to be safe about turning it on and off..

Since I think most of that is beyond you (no offense) you would be better off selling that and buying a proper welder that will work on standard 110, if possible just get a wire fed that will work flux core wire, but mind you even the cheap ones have a 70 amp draw on the top, so your 30a adapter is still wholly underpowered.

Sorry my fault, you'll need 12 adapters, your welder is 180amps if you look up your model online.

Seriously don't Jerry rig this, 220v is inside the deadly category, 180 amps worth is easily enough to set your entire rv on fire, there's no way your inbuilt electrical system is rated to carry that much power, even a 600cca rv battery can't dump it, you'd be 32 thousand watts short.

Btw 180a at 220v is 39,600 watts, so now that you know please start walking a different direction before killing someone by mistake.

Which makes it about a quarter of what you need, honestly don't start f***ing arpund with that unless you have a dedicated 220 or know how to safely hook up switchers, which being in an rv kinda crimps that idea, you'll need 4 separate 110ac sockets on 4 different 30 amp breakers and some heavy cycle mosfets to be safe about turning it on and off..

Since I think most of that is beyond you (no offense) you would be better off selling that and buying a proper welder that will work on standard 110, if possible just get a wire fed that will work flux core wire, but mind you even the cheap ones have a 70 amp draw on the top, so your 30a adapter is still wholly underpowered.

Agreed I have already posted it on offer up would a 125 flux be enough for welding on bikes, exhaust, and things of that nature?

Their $109.99 about $129.99 after
tax.

Main reason I picked it backup from my relatives house is because my exhaust cracked and I also have a few other things I need to do as well which involve welding as well.

I'm no professional all I know is that making cursive "e" patterns plus moving at a proper 45° angle at the correct speed.

Someone offered $150.00 for it should have took the deal instead of looking for the Max value out of it.

Sorry my fault, you'll need 12 adapters, your welder is 180amps if you look up your model online.

Seriously don't Jerry rig this, 220v is inside the deadly category, 180 amps worth is easily enough to set your entire rv on fire, there's no way your inbuilt electrical system is rated to carry that much power, even a 600cca rv battery can't dump it, you'd be 32 thousand watts short.

Btw 180a at 220v is 39,600 watts, so now that you know please start walking a different direction before killing someone by mistake.

Had no intention of doing it in the rv, plan on plugging one in through the laundry room below my apartment seeing I pay for people to throw trash everywhere, and charge high assed rent prices but don't want to do the fixings.

Won't go on my bill haha

But at least I have all the proper safety equipment I hope no one is nosy like usual when it comes to fixing my bike and customers bikes cause they will be blinded.

Plan on welding on a Sunday by the backside or vacant apartment door just to make sure that no one gets blinded.

There's also an open spot near the back side of our garbage compactor...

It's been blocked off because these nasty Mexicans throwing trash everywhere so maintenance put wall up probably just hop the fence and lower the new lighter welder plus my stock exhaust and "git R done."

Last edited:
Back