WTB Carter Model N 655 Vintage Whizzer Carb

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nolan

Local time
8:45 AM
WTB Carter Model N 655 Vintage Whizzer Carb
Anyone have an extra lying around that they would be willing to sell?
-Nolan

The best way is to setup ebay to send you a email when carb show up. I got mine Whizzer to find out water ate the carb.

Get ready to pay $$$ if you really need one. I know need to $$$ for one.

Yeah that one up there isn't the correct type. I check often but missed the last good one that went up. I have one but the float is really dented and the bowl has a small crack in it. So if I find a decent 655 I can switch over the good stuff. I've been having plug fouling issues no matter how its adjusted.
-Nolan

Have any of you tried modern carbs on your vintage motors? it looks like theres many briggs and stratton carbs that look very similar to the Carter 655

Hi Nolan,

I think the bowl & float is the same on the incorrect Carter N version and can often be purchased cheap. As you know the Whizzer version has the fuel line entering the top of the carbuetor.

There are 4 different Carter models used on Whizzers, however all have the fuel line entering the top. They are part number #2704 and #2702, but actual numbers on the carburetor denotes 4 versions not 2. 2 of the versions were replacement carburetors and simply had slotted flanges to allow them to fit the earlier "H" motor with the narrow bolt pattern. The main difference between the carburetors is the main jet system. The N655s and the N666s was part number #2704 [the N666s had the slotted mounting holes] and was a fixed main jet. The later #2702 [number is correct, Whizzer released the #2702 after the #2704] was marked either N703s and the slotted version was part number N704s]

The Carter was never supplied on an "H" motor, however the earlier Tillotson ML5b originally used on the "H" motor was used on "J" motors with serial numbers J230201 to J235200, and again on J23600 to J23700. The reason the earlier Tillotson was used on the "J" motors was because of supply problems with the Carter units during the change from a fixed main jet to the later adjustable main jet version. The Tillotson carburetors were also slotted to fit the wider pattern on the "J" motors.

There are several carburetors that will work, but the vast majority of period carburetors won't.

The following will work..........

Tillotson ML5b [with slots]
Tillotson MT12a [used on late 300, all 500 & 700 series motors]
Carter #N655s, #N666s, N703S, and N704s

18 MM Mikuni [re-jetted] and custom made manifold
New Edition Whizzer WC-1 carburetor with custom manifold.

The later Tillotson ML12a was for the more powerful Whizzer motor with the larger valves, but had an adjustable main jet and could easily be tuned to work on earlier motors.

It has been difficult to make the earlier Carters from B & S, Reo, Kohler & Tech. work because of the venturi size.

Hope this helps
Have fun,

Last edited:
Thanks again Quenton,
I'll keep my eyes out for those..
-Nolan

Hi Nolan,

I think the bowl & float is the same on the incorrect Carter N version and can often be purchased cheap. As you know the Whizzer version has the fuel line entering the top of the carbuetor.

There are 4 different Carter models used on Whizzers, however all have the fuel line entering the top. They are part number #2704 and #2702, but actual numbers on the carburetor denotes 4 versions not 2. 2 of the versions were replacement carburetors and simply had slotted flanges to allow them to fit the earlier "H" motor with the narrow bolt pattern. The main difference between the carburetors is the main jet system. The N655s and the N666s was part number #2704 [the N666s had the slotted mounting holes] and was a fixed main jet. The later #2702 [number is correct, Whizzer released the #2702 after the #2704] was marked either N703s and the slotted version was part number N704s]

The Carter was never supplied on an "H" motor, however the earlier Tillotson ML5b originally used on the "H" motor was used on "J" motors with serial numbers J230201 to J235200, and again on J23600 to J23700. The reason the earlier Tillotson was used on the "J" motors was because of supply problems with the Carter units during the change from a fixed main jet to the later adjustable main jet version. The Tillotson carburetors were also slotted to fit the wider pattern on the "J" motors.

There are several carburetors that will work, but the vast majority of period carburetors won't.

The following will work..........

Tillotson ML5b [with slots]
Tillotson MT12a [used on late 300, all 500 & 700 series motors]
Carter #N655s, #N666s, N703S, and N704s

18 MM Mikuni [re-jetted] and custom made manifold
New Edition Whizzer WC-1 carburetor with custom manifold.

The later Tillotson ML12a was for the more powerful Whizzer motor with the larger valves, but had an adjustable main jet and could easily be tuned to work on earlier motors.

It has been difficult to make the earlier Carters from B & S, Reo, Kohler & Tech. work because of the venturi size.

Hope this helps
Have fun,

Wow.
It always amazes me at the amount of Whizzer knowledge you have. Once again I have learned a bunch. Thanks Quenton.

Jim

Just look at ebay becuase like Quenton said you will destory the value of the whizzer if you try something else. I think it cost me $130 5 years ago for one and set a price $160 top because I need one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back