WTH is alfine mu-s705b di2 8-speed motor unit???

autowood

Local time
10:57 PM
What is an alfine mu-s705b di2 8-speed motor unit? Is it a motor? I've searched the net and found plenty of them for sale, but not one description, explanation, picture assembled on bike.

I like the concept of the internally geared rear hub for mid drive(chain wheel drive) bikes. No front or rear derailleur and option to use of a heavy BMX chain or even Gates Carbon Belt drive.

I like running my motor through the gears.:confused:

This thread has caught my interest. Is this a auto shift or does it have a gear selector to shift with? I've never seen one of these and information about them is kind of hard to find. In the pictures they don't show any wires or gear selector. Anyone with firsthand knowledge out there?

Tom

http://www.shimano.com/publish/cont...alfine_di2/product.-code-MU-S705.-type-..html

Features

Discover ALFINE Di2, a stylish and sophisticated way to enjoy the ultimate urban riding experience. New type of Electronic shifting gives you more freedom to enjoy your desire.

Specifications
Model No. MU-S705
Series ALFINE
Compatible Hub Gear
Compatible Speed
Compatible EW type
Adjustment for Shifting
Note

Tom-Fishing. Go to the link above. It shows one installed and how it works. No, it is not an automatic shift, it is an electric shift that uses wires instead of mechanical cable to shift. It has a nifty lighted gear indicator on the handle bar and push button shifting.

From advice given by KC Vale with these internal geared hubs more gears more things to go wrong. The parts in the larger number geared hubs are thinner and aren't as strong as the ones in say a 3 or 5 speed hub. The Nuvinci hubs are very good but even they have their torque limits.

As for shifting gears automatically there are some electronic shifters and mechanical shifters as well. My bikes shifts 5 gears automatically with a mechanical shifter.

another post where somebody has to brag.... offers NOTHING to what the OP asked about

The hub you're talking about is somewhat expensive. I wouldn't want someone on here spend a lot of money on one just to find out it couldn't handle the torque of an engine. KC also has his own forum "KC Kruiser's". He should be able to tell you what the hub can handle.

If what you're asking is more about automatic drive systems then I have knowledge on this.

Back