WWII Military Motorized Bikes? Anyone???

Simplex

Hi this is an amatuer restoration of a 1950's Simplex that I worked on, wife is holding the bike, she is 5'6" as a comparison as to size.

I do have more pics if anyone is interested.

Mike

Attachments

• IMG_0198 (1014 x 760).jpg
    IMG_0198 (1014 x 760).jpg
    238.7 KB · Views: 2,305
Hi all I just figured out in 1982 I had A simplex with no motor .Didnt know what it was and gave it to the kid down the street .That was dumb ( live on ) Bill Green

With the price of gas I think more people will be riding some form of motored bikes. I'll be riding mine IF the law lets me.LOL

As others have said, the Simplex is the closest thing to a motorized bike whose use is documented by the US military. 654 were delivered in 1942-43, primarily for paratrooper use. An improved version was supplied in the early fifties. In 1957, motorcycles were taken off the US military TO&E, not to return until 1982.

Now, one can debate whether a Whizzer would fall under the category of "motorcycle", but an olive-drab painted Whizzer at a car show isn't much documentation. As popular as the Whizzer is, one would think that evidence of military use would be common knowledge among Whizzer enthusiasts. JMO.

Mike here are a couple of pics. of my simplex, which by the way could be for sale.

As you know white was not an original color. But it sure looks clean and nice on the simplex's. Nice thread guys!

Dave Beck

Attachments

• simplex 1.jpg
    simplex 1.jpg
    203.2 KB · Views: 637
  • simplex 2.jpg
    simplex 2.jpg
    202.5 KB · Views: 895
Wow : IS that beautiful! Never thought of white on one. I was thinking black, but that is pretty.

Simplex

Very Nice Dave!!!
That little red and gray bike came in not running, had a shorted key switch, I got that cleared, but it's owner wanted me to adjust the Tillitson carb, and get it running right.

BUT the ratchet was worn and would cam off center, so that I could not kick it adequately. The owner was supposed to locate a ratchet, and then bring it back to me, tho I've not seen him, been a month or two, maybe ratchets are hard to find?

Your bike is sure pretty, I was looking forward to riding this one, even tho I've heard that they are less powerful than a Whizzer, do you like riding yours?

Mike

Mike,
I rides super, low on power but smooth, nice seat handles great. My whizzer with the quenton modified cylinder will out perform it bad. I think if the simplex had a reed valve setup instead of the rotary valve they would have performed much better.

Over all it is a nice piece of motorbike history. It is well made, simple, smooth ride.

By the way it is for sale now. $5,000.00 or interesting trades considered.

Dave

Dave, very nice bike, your's is a couple years newer than mine and I see it's an automatic too. Mine looks a bit thrashed after 25 years of shows and just plain beating around but they sure are fun.

....Bob

Attachments

• servi-cycle4.jpg
    servi-cycle4.jpg
    88 KB · Views: 963
Back