WWII Military Motorized Bikes? Anyone???

Yaquina143

Local time
12:46 PM
I am doing some research and was curious if anyone knows if the US Army ever used motorized bikes during the Second World War?

I recently restored a 1942 Army Bicycle and now that it is done I was interested in recreating something similiar but motorized. I have found a couple of restored "Army" whizzer bike photos on the net, but nothing is ever said regarding the history so I don't know if the Army actually had them or were they just from the imagination of a Whizzer restorer?

Here are some images of my recently restored bicycle.

daisy001.JPG

daisy002.JPG

daisy003.JPG

daisy004.JPG

daisy005.jpg

daisy006.jpg

Last edited:
That's a nice restore. I would whizzer it up anyway and just tell some lies...

"Yup. This bike served our country in WWII. This was the very bike that brought McAurthur to the hospital when he was injured. The biker carried him over his shoulder and rode him to safety.His name was Bob."

Last edited by a moderator:
Not interested in lying.

My organization works really hard to educate the public about the war and what the men and women did to protect this country. I would very much like to include a "Whizzer" military bike to the display, if one actually existed... but haven't found any information yet to confirm or deny their existence.

Very nice restoration. I don't know if the military ever used Whizzer's directly, but I do know that Whizzer kept producing new bikes through WWII, and that they marketed the bikes to defense workers.

Wow. That's your bike,Yaquina.
Let me post that pic here.

Attachments

• bike.jpg
    bike.jpg
    119.1 KB · Views: 3,718
ya know, I was thinking earlier, RdK would have some info for ya. nice find!!

the Whizzer timeline shows them available to defense workers... I wonder if they were painted "Army green" for this era?

where's all the Whizzer Guy's when we need ya?? :LOL:;)

the Whizzer timeline shows them available to defense workers... I wonder if they were painted "Army green" for this era

I don't believe the defense worker Whizzers were painted OD green. IIRC only engine kits were available for the defense workers and they had to supply the bike. This is what I have read. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

Jim

Last edited:
Back