Yamaha GT80G Idling and Running Issues

odubman

Local time
1:08 AM
Have a 1980 Yamaha GT80G that hasn't been run for many years. It still starts, but only idles with choke on and really revs up with choke on by itself.....then mostly turns off when turn choke off. When on with choke and try to accelerate, just bogs down and turns off. I'm not sure if carburetor was cleaned previously or not. What suggestions have to look into to get idling without choke and run when giving gas?

First thing I would do is pull the carb out, disassemble it, and soak the whole thing in some seafoam. If it is only idling with choke on, it is either getting not enough fuel, or way too much air. Based on how long you say it has been sitting, the carb jets are likely gummed up.

First thing I would do is pull the carb out, disassemble it, and soak the whole thing in some seafoam. If it is only idling with choke on, it is either getting not enough fuel, or way too much air. Based on how long you say it has been sitting, the carb jets are likely gummed up.
That's right, dude, give a commercial plug for SEAFOAM, a "miracle" Overpriced package of mysterious solvents, when there are many effective solvents that can do the same job, or better, for substantially less cost.

That's right, dude, give a commercial plug for SEAFOAM, a "miracle" Overpriced package of mysterious solvents, when there are many effective solvents that can do the same job, or better, for substantially less cost.
Did the pure mention of the word "seafoam" trigger you that much? :ROFLMAO:. It's not a plug, and it doesn't even read like one. I didn't make any crazy claims or say one thing about it besides say that it works well to soak gummed up carbs in. I have been using it for years and it works great. Not to be rude, but I could care less what anyone else uses when I have been using seafoam on everything from old stale gas in lawn equipment to the fuel systems in $20k race motors for years.

It just plain works. Do other similar solvents work? I'm sure they do. May some of those be cheaper? Probably. I am just stating what I have personally used, and know for a fact works.

It's not talking about snake oil like zmax or some magic mystery solvents with ridiculous claims...seafoam has been used for decades in the aviation industry and they have some of the strictest standards and highest reliability criteria. If they trust it to clean the systems of airplane motors thousands of feet in the sky that would be catastrophic if it failed, I think it can handle a varnished dirt bike carb.

Instead of jumping in on a response to complain about it without offering any help, why don't you try to assist the OP and share some of those other "many effective solvents that can do the same job, or better, for substantially less cost." ? I am open minded, maybe I will give one a try and save a few bucks myself.

Did the pure mention of the word "seafoam" trigger you that much? :ROFLMAO:. It's not a plug, and it doesn't even read like one. I didn't make any crazy claims or say one thing about it besides say that it works well to soak gummed up carbs in. I have been using it for years and it works great. Not to be rude, but I could care less what anyone else uses when I have been using seafoam on everything from old stale gas in lawn equipment to the fuel systems in $20k race motors for years.

It just plain works. Do other similar solvents work? I'm sure they do. May some of those be cheaper? Probably. I am just stating what I have personally used, and know for a fact works.

It's not talking about snake oil like zmax or some magic mystery solvents with ridiculous claims...seafoam has been used for decades in the aviation industry and they have some of the strictest standards and highest reliability criteria. If they trust it to clean the systems of airplane motors thousands of feet in the sky that would be catastrophic if it failed, I think it can handle a varnished dirt bike carb.

Instead of jumping in on a response to complain about it without offering any help, why don't you try to assist the OP and share some of those other "many effective solvents that can do the same job, or better, for substantially less cost." ? I am open minded, maybe I will give one a try and save a few bucks myself.
I made no negative comments about your personal favorite solvent mixture, except my personal opinion that it was overpriced and the FACT that it is promoted by millions of dollars of advertising without any proof that it is "better" than other similar products. Maybe it works fine, I don't know, but I have been using Berryman's B-12 Chemtool for 50 years, and in my experience in the automotive trade it has been highly regarded by professional mechanics and still is. And it is Affordable without having a massive promotional "miracle" reputation. I meant no personal attack on you, just my honest preference for an excellent product that I have seen in action. No doubt there are other products available, but I try to get the most performance out of a proven product that doesn't need to spend millions in promotional effort to push high sales figures.

That's right dude. How dare you suggest something just because you know it works. What do you think this is? Some kinda help forum or something.:)
Maybe if you start out with your idea instead of a "That's right dude" insinuating the person your quoting is a idiot you'll get along better with the kids on the play ground. I don't know much about seafoam, been using chemtool since the late 60's, and for this I would just spray it out with carb cleaner maybe use a wire to help clean the jet. Guess I better get off the soap box before I fall off.

I made no negative comments about your personal favorite solvent mixture, except my personal opinion that it was overpriced and the FACT that it is promoted by millions of dollars of advertising without any proof that it is "better" than other similar products. Maybe it works fine, I don't know, but I have been using Berryman's B-12 Chemtool for 50 years, and in my experience in the automotive trade it has been highly regarded by professional mechanics and still is. And it is Affordable without having a massive promotional "miracle" reputation. I meant no personal attack on you, just my honest preference for an excellent product that I have seen in action. No doubt there are other products available, but I try to get the most performance out of a proven product that doesn't need to spend millions in promotional effort to push high sales figures.
I use B12 too. Works well. I have posts from years ago on car forums where I dumped two bottles of it into the gas tank of a car that sat for over a year and it freed up the two stuck injectors without having to even remove them...went with it over seafoam since for that high amount the price was a big difference.

I mentioned seafoam since it is much more common and usually easier to find, and is often on sale. Nothing wrong with either, but I have found seafoam to work better for soaking parts in straight while B12 as more as a gas additive for cleaning injectors and valves (neither of which these motors have, but that doesn't really matter for this post :)). I'm sure both can interchange, but that's how I am used to.

Just saying, I understand if you didn't mean it but the post came off as aggressive as if I was just trying to advertise some popular snake oil scam when they are both decades old products with tons of support towards their effectiveness. If you would have instead just posted a suggestion that the OP can also try the Chemtool for a couple bucks less, I would have "liked" your comment and agreed. You didn't attempt to give any help or suggestions though.

B12 works great to remove paint! I save that for the real stubborn stuff. I use kero to soak carbs more often than not. Seafoam has it's uses. Mostly just do the vacuum line trick and smoke out a parking lot lol. Could give two s**ts about advertising. Use the stuff that all the old guys that I bugged as a kid used.

Back