Yd 100 Engine mount on huffy cruiser

Oldcrow

Local time
10:18 PM
Sorry in advance if this info is here and I missed it but search box didn't turn up any results. I wasn't crazy about the universe front mount that comes with the kit. ( U bolt and flat plate) so I purchased the CDH power CNC mount. That mount creates a greater distance between mounting points, so I have to lift the engine higher in the frame to fit. I don't like getting the center of gravity so high on the bike. It's getting crowded on top at spark plug, Also I would need to grind off one of the water bottle mounts on the bike frame for rear mount that's no big deal. The CDH mount has some slopp in the knuckle joint allowing engine wobble until the rear mount is fully tightened. So with these issues I'm wondering if it's actually any better than the supplied universal mount. I can't seem to find much info on anyone using the CDH Power CNC mount. Also seems so many use the supplied universal mount and I don't see many alternatives so maybe it works OK? I maybe over concerned about it but " universal engine mount" doesn't have a good ring to it.
Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_20210103_121331588.jpg
    IMG_20210103_121331588.jpg
    148.9 KB · Views: 244
  • IMG_20210103_121425027_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20210103_121425027_HDR.jpg
    164.8 KB · Views: 271
That mount creates a greater distance between mounting points, so I have to lift the engine higher in the frame to fit. I don't like getting the center of gravity so high on the bike. It's getting crowded on top at spark plug
Also I would need to grind off one of the water bottle mounts on the bike frame for rear mount that's no big deal
I just finished hand making my own version of that engine mount that you bought with a friend of mine helping me that works on military aircraft.

Once we built it, we needed to hand fashion some finishing touches to make it fit properly.

Mine is almost perfectly level whereas yours seems to be angled more forward and down.

Did you attempt to at least lower the rear of the engine and at the same time, raise to front portion of the that engine mount as i see you have about 2 inches of usable front ward space going upward witht that mount???

Also, where that center knuckle joint is, we filed away a little of each end of the inside area of the block that holds the knuckle in place in order to line it with some sheet rubber which worked out nicely as there is no play in it and absorbs vibration, as well as making sure that the portion of the mount that affixes to the main front tube is likewise rubber lined...Works beautifully.

WORD OF WARNING...Be careful of those water bottle mounts...My last build was a Huffy frame where i also had them.

My frame broke in 2 spots...Right where those mounts were...it was a clean even break all the way around that started at the mounting holes and worked there way around the tubing.

This was caused by the natural vibration of the motor causing metal fatigue...In Australia it is illegal to drill holes in a bicycle frame to mount motors because of vibration/metal fatigue resulting and those bored holes of the bottle holder have the same result...Find a friend that knows something about welding first in order to reinforce that area of the frame to prevent this problem happening in the first
place...DAMIEN

IMG_0319.jpg

IMG_0321.jpg

IMG_0322.jpg

1.jpg

2.jpg

Last edited:
The rear can be lowered 1/4" max after I smooth out the water bottle mount. That's as low as it will go if I want to keep both front and rear mount sitting parallel or flat against the frame tubes. That's awesome you have access to the machine shop. I had options in Brooklyn good steel fabricators I worked with, I'm in the middle of VA now we're it seems people use home depot for everything. I feel like some type of sleeve tubes (2 half pipes) that could have flanges or plates welded. Like the images, if they were split length ways, it would give so much more contact surface and the length would help prevent engine twist. The U bolt has so little contact area. Also it doesn't do much stop rotational torque from chain tension. so relying on the rear mount for that. I'm surprised nobody has a better universal solution yet. If they do they aren't sharing or it hasnt entered production. I'm new to this hobby so I'm probably missing stuff, I see a lot of cool stuff people have engineered. Just haven't seen good accessible engine mounting solutions. Four stroke yes the engine case lends its self to solid mounting. Maybe thats what it's going to take is a different case design for good solid mounting with the 2 stroke cases? Thanks for the info about the water bottle mounts. Hoping someone is going to chime in with a great option, in the mean time I think I'll continue with the U bolt, (jungle gym) hardware and see how it holds up.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210103-162555.png
    Screenshot_20210103-162555.png
    299.7 KB · Views: 161
  • Screenshot_20210103-163532.png
    Screenshot_20210103-163532.png
    184.5 KB · Views: 169
In Australia it is illegal to drill holes in a bicycle frame to mount motors because of vibration/metal fatigue resulting and those bored holes of the bottle holder have the same result
Im not in Australia by the way, Just knew about the law there and the reasons why...lol...Im in Alamogordo, NM USA...DAMIEN

It wasn't done in a machine shop...Hand tools all the way on my front porch...It is made from 7075 T6 Military Grade Aircraft Aluminum...Mounting fasteners are all cadmium anodyized military grade as well...DAMIEN
That's nice work, would like to see some pics of the different stages of fabing that piece. Your frame has more room above the head than mine. Still your engine is kinda high, do feel it makes the bike feel a little top heavy?

That's nice work, would like to see some pics of the different stages of fabing that piece. Your frame has more room above the head than mine. Still your engine is kinda high, do feel it makes the bike feel a little top heavy?
Not in the slightest...it feels real good and stable...ive actually had this up to 47 MPH until i chickened out and stopped to clean the racing stripes outta my undies...lol...still had throttle left as well...not bad for a stock, Zeda 80 motor...lol...there is no shaking from vibration, its really smooth as silk, the engine is only 27 pounds...doesnt seem to have an effect at the height i have it...Center of gravity feels perfect...DAMIEN

EDIT...I notice you have the Zeda 100...Will look forward to hearing how it runs etc. verses my Zeda 80...Im using 36 tooth sprocket.

Last edited:
would like to see some pics of the different stages of fabing that piece
We didn't take any pics while fabricating...didn't think of it...lol...DAMIEN

EDIT..."
Reactions:Oldcrow and Street Ryderz

You two guys should have at least given a thumbs up on the pics on my other post...lol...That is a piece of art work there...lol...lol...As i keep saying..."im more than just another pretty face here"...lol...DAMIEN

Last edited:
Your frame has more room above the head than mine. Still your engine is kinda high
I dont think i have any more room on my frame than yours...you've got to remember that your head on the Zeda 100 is taller than mine on the Zeda 80...yours has the 50mm crank if im not mistaken, mine is the 40mm crank...DAMIEN

Ps...Do yourself a favour and throw away that Chinese Z8C plug that came with the kit and instead get the NGK-B6HS plug as a replacement...it will run much smoother and is much better quality.

Last edited:
Down below, the pics will show you my former front engine mount that i had used for a little over five years and 6000 miles, first on my Huffy frame, (before it broke at the rear engine mount), and then on my Hyper Bike Company frame which i find superior to the old Huffy...The engine mount was made from a piece of rollbar i found in a junk yard from a wrecked ATV...The last pic is the old Huffy...DAMIEN

DSCN0172.JPG
DSCN0173.JPG
DSCN0175.JPG
8pDeqPw.jpg

Last edited:
Back