Yd100 acting like it’s locking up

Well YA...Obviously your not holding the jug down on the bottom deck with one hand while turning it over with the other hand to see if the piston itself not only slides up and down freely within the cylinder but that it also does not project over the top of the jug when fully extended outward at top dead center.
Ok so I held it down and I does spin freely. Now I as for the piston and deck, I seems like the top of the piston slightly comes out.
Picture is a little wonky but if you zoom in a bit you can see the top of the piston.

Attachments

• C4841743-06AB-4C8C-858C-732429C30A5F.jpeg
    C4841743-06AB-4C8C-858C-732429C30A5F.jpeg
    139.3 KB · Views: 86
Ok so I held it down and I does spin freely. Now I as for the piston and deck, I seems like the top of the piston slightly comes out.
Picture is a little wonky but if you zoom in a bit you can see the top of the piston.
Then I guess you now have your answer then...Chainlube already had the answer for you when he said...
If it comes up past the deck it will hit the head.

So how would I go about fixing this? Is there any spacers I can buy?
You need to add another base gasket, but first put a couple of the nuts on there to hold it down, hopefully you don't have acorn nuts, then turn the engine over and watch the piston through the intake and exhaust ports. Make sure the piston clears the ports on both sides, if it doesn't then there will have to other adjustments made.

Not sure if they make a low hole and a high hole piston for your engine, @ImpulseRocket89 might know, he has experimented with that engine.

You need to add another base gasket, but first put a couple of the nuts on there to hold it down, hopefully you don't have acorn nuts, then turn the engine over and watch the piston through the intake and exhaust ports. Make sure the piston clears the ports on both sides, if it doesn't then there will have to other adjustments made.

Not sure if they make a low hole and a high hole piston for your engine, @ImpulseRocket89 might know, he has experimented with that engine.
AFAIK there is no low and high hole on the yd engine. There are sometimes small variances between manufacturers, and with a removable head this would be an LD100 since a yd100 is a single piece cylinder and head.

Usually the yd engines run 2 base gaskets. Not sure on the LD. Does it have any base gaskets in that picture?

AFAIK there is no low and high hole on the yd engine. There are sometimes small variances between manufacturers, and with a removable head this would be an LD100 since a yd100 is a single piece cylinder and head.

Usually the yd engines run 2 base gaskets. Not sure on the LD. Does it have any base gaskets in that picture?
So I actually don’t run base gaskets on my engine. I just use liquid gasket maker. Base of my engine has a lot of odd rigid impurities that cause gaskets to leak quite a bit. If I tried to sand it down to make it even it would just make everything worse and the clearance would be way too difficult to deal with.

Was also thinking of maybe using a high cc high comp head. The one I got right now is almost flat as is and has not too much clearance in the first place. Maybe a bigger one would help? Any suggestions on heads like that?

Add a base gasket as mentioned, a gasket will seal better than any silicone if you got uneven mating surfaces. Plus it needs a head gasket too. With a head gasket & base gasket added, I'm willing to bet it will turn over just fine. Plus I can tell that too much gray silicone was used, by the silicone on top of piston & around the top bore of the cylinder. You can get a thick piece of glass or a piece of polished granite & sand your engine parts in a figure 8 to clean up your mating surfaces. Most of the LD100 cylinder kits I have seen installed has been running 2 base gaskets.

Was also thinking of maybe using a high cc high comp head. The one I got right now is almost flat as is and has not too much clearance in the first place. Maybe a bigger one would help? Any suggestions on heads like that?
I've never seen one.

Looks like you have around 2mm above board, that's a lot to make up. If the cases are uneven, coat your gasket with some high pressure gasket maker and let it dry before you install. Get a couple (or make) head gaskets just to look at how mush squish you have,. If you can get the piston flush to the deck, then it's just a matter of the right thickness head gasket the proper squish. We haven't seen a picture of the head yet.

I've never seen one.

Looks like you have around 2mm above board, that's a lot to make up. If the cases are uneven, coat your gasket with some high pressure gasket maker and let it dry before you install. Get a couple (or make) head gaskets just to look at how mush squish you have,. If you can get the piston flush to the deck, then it's just a matter of the right thickness head gasket the proper squish. We haven't seen a picture of the head yet.
Alright I’ll give the base gaskets a shot again, I’ll send pictures of the head in a bit have a couple of errands I have to run, it’s the silver billet round one with the big cooling fins on it. Also do you have any tips on installing piston rings easier? I’ve seen videos of people just popping them in like it’s nothing while I takes me like 20 minutes to maybe get it in.

Back