Yd100 acting like it’s locking up

Alright I’ll give the base gaskets a shot again, I’ll send pictures of the head in a bit have a couple of errands I have to run, it’s the silver billet round one with the big cooling fins on it. Also do you have any tips on installing piston rings easier? I’ve seen videos of people just popping them in like it’s nothing while I takes me like 20 minutes to maybe get it in.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    164.1 KB · Views: 92
Alright I’ll give the base gaskets a shot again, I’ll send pictures of the head in a bit have a couple of errands I have to run, it’s the silver billet round one with the big cooling fins on it. Also do you have any tips on installing piston rings easier? I’ve seen videos of people just popping them in like it’s nothing while I takes me like 20 minutes to maybe get it in.
You know, I have really thick finger nails and after I put the one end of the ring in the groove I just hold the other end of the ring with my thumb nail while I turn it on. There are little tools for installing rings.

Clean all that gasket maker off first. From the picture I can't tell if there is a recess in the head or not, need a shot from a bit of an angle.

I've never seen one.

Looks like you have around 2mm above board, that's a lot to make up. If the cases are uneven, coat your gasket with some high pressure gasket maker and let it dry before you install. Get a couple (or make) head gaskets just to look at how mush squish you have,. If you can get the piston flush to the deck, then it's just a matter of the right thickness head gasket the proper squish. We haven't seen a picture of the head yet.
To add to this...

If we are dealing with ebay or Amazon off the shelf gaskets then The base gaskets are typically .5 to .6mm thick, compressed. The standard aluminum head gaskets are often .9mm to 1mm thick.

I would start with 1 of each and measure the squish gap. If it is any smaller than .7mm you will want to add a second base gasket. From there you can look into other head gaskets to adjust for a tigher squish gap as needed.

To me that cylinder head looks like it's only cut for a 47mm piston crown, not a 50mm piston crown like the LD100 uses. It's worth checking if you have not checked it.

To add to this...

If we are dealing with ebay or Amazon off the shelf gaskets then The base gaskets are typically .5 to .6mm thick, compressed. The standard aluminum head gaskets are often .9mm to 1mm thick.

I would start with 1 of each and measure the squish gap. If it is any smaller than .7mm you will want to add a second base gasket. From there you can look into other head gaskets to adjust for a tigher squish gap as needed.
Ordered some gaskets online just gotta wait for them to come now. Will update when I get them and test them out.

To me that cylinder head looks like it's only cut for a 47mm piston crown, not a 50mm piston crown like the LD100 uses. It's worth checking if you have not checked it.
I’ll give it a look, also I looked around and saw something about type A/B pistons? Have any idea if this could be it, seems others have had similar problems and that this might be the issue.

I’ll give it a look, also I looked around and saw something about type A/B pistons? Have any idea if this could be it, seems others have had similar problems and that this might be the issue.
I thought the yd100/ld100 platform only had 1 type of piston. Other than they offer a 10mm wrist pin version & a 12mm wrist pin version. Somebody with more YD100/LD100 experience might chime in on that. It is nice to see they are offering a hi-compression cylinder head thou. Makes me want to build 1, but I get along pretty good with my 49mm bore CDH engine.

I thought the yd100/ld100 platform only had 1 type of piston. Other than they offer a 10mm wrist pin version & a 12mm wrist pin version. Somebody with more YD100/LD100 experience might chime in on that. It is nice to see they are offering a hi-compression cylinder head thou. Makes me want to build 1, but I get along pretty good with my 49mm bore CDH engine.
@ImpulseRocket89 already confirmed that in post #15.

Back