YD100 Rear sprocket size trail riding

RatCatcher

Local time
6:10 PM
So I picked up my first rear disc brake mountain bike for light to moderate trail riding with occasional long mountain grades. It's a steel frame schwinn sidewinder 26inch. I'm going to toss a YD100 in it. But does anyone have experience with these disc adapters from mbrebel or cdh? How in the world do they work without putting the disc more outward making it out of alignment with the caliper? Or am I going to have to loose the rear disc brake and install a traditional center caliper? Also does anyone know a good sproket size for the yd100 on 26" 2.5 wheels to have great hill climbing torque but still be a good all rounder? No way I'm putting a hub adapter in. It may spin while out on the trail. 6 bolt disc adapter is tough as it gets. I need some experience help on this one.

I've never experimented with bigger sprockets, but if you need torque and not completely rev it out while trying to cruise, maybe a 48 would be what you need. It also depends on how much you weigh.

I'd say all up weight is 230. I'm 210. And then a pack full of whatever. Sometimes hammock and camping gear. I dont know if a large enough disc exists for a 48t sprocket. Dosen't the disc have to be larger than the sprocket so the caliper has clearance?

No idea, never had disc brakes. Sorry I can't help you, lol.

A hub adapter would be a great alternative if you could prevent it from spinning. Consider mounting one up and get everything aligned. Mark the hub so you can replace it in the exact spot. Use a drill press to drill through the adapter. Reinstall the adapter on the hub. Then remove a couple of spokes so you can get an 90* angle drive drill in there. Continue the hole through the adapter into the hub. Use a 5/16" tap for the hole in the adapter and run a bolt all the way into the hub so it can't spin. Just a thought I've had for a while. I might do this same thing.

So I picked up my first rear disc brake mountain bike for light to moderate trail riding with occasional long mountain grades. It's a steel frame schwinn sidewinder 26inch. I'm going to toss a YD100 in it. But does anyone have experience with these disc adapters from mbrebel or cdh? How in the world do they work without putting the disc more outward making it out of alignment with the caliper? Or am I going to have to loose the rear disc brake and install a traditional center caliper? Also does anyone know a good sproket size for the yd100 on 26" 2.5 wheels to have great hill climbing torque but still be a good all rounder? No way I'm putting a hub adapter in. It may spin while out on the trail. 6 bolt disc adapter is tough as it gets. I need some experience help on this one.
Did you buy the bike used? Because the Sidewinder doesn't come stock with a 2.5" wide tire. The stock size tires is 26x2.

Be creative; here's how I kept my rear brakes on my Sidewinder.

20210216_221805.jpg

20210316_125846.jpg

20210316_130209.jpg

C'mon Jerry. That second picture is the best you could do ? Don't use the flash or reduce the amount of light on the subject. It looks like you've designed something pretty neat, but we can't really tell by this pic.

What kind of hub do you have on your sidewinder? I'm going to try and go with a clamp hub. There's a dilemma and theres two to choose from. Mine measured 32mm (1.259"). There's 2 to choose from a modus adapter that is 1.188" and the occ CB-110 which is 1.258". But the occ is for coaster hubs. Should I go with the modus so it will clamp down harder? I'm curious to know which hub I have, because it also has 6 bolt disc brake. That measured 55mm. So its 32mm in the center and 55mm at the disc area.

Back