YD100 Top Speed

So my YD100, still breaking in, fastest I got it so far has been just under 35mph (today actually)... I was wondering how fast other YD100 owners have got their motors and what mods have been done to achieve that speed. I really want to be able to go 55-60 (Iol I know... I'm prolly dreaming) not to use on the regular at that speed but just to have it in my back pocket... It would be nice to at least go 40-45 to be around the speed limit and not constantly get passed

I read on here the other day to wait until the engine was fully broken in and then add mods one at a time and I really wish I saw that sooner... if for no other reason than to see what performance they truly added, if any...(who knows, I might be going faster with stock parts)

I think this coming weekend, I'm going to throw the BoFeng back on there for giggles and see if there's any performance difference between the HP.... (which I think I finally got in tune... fingers crossed... today it worked like a charm...)

Also , as per forum advice, I switched to conventional oil for break in purposes... I def. feel a difference between conventional valvoline and fully synthetic stabil... feels like it takes a little longer to start (or that could be because of how I tuned the carb... as I did them both yesterday)

Anyhow, as usual I appreciate you all. You guys are awesome. Can't wait to read the comments. I'm glad I found this forum.
Got mine up to 40 mph and its not broken in yet

So my YD100, still breaking in, fastest I got it so far has been just under 35mph (today actually)... I was wondering how fast other YD100 owners have got their motors and what mods have been done to achieve that speed. I really want to be able to go 55-60 (Iol I know... I'm prolly dreaming) not to use on the regular at that speed but just to have it in my back pocket... It would be nice to at least go 40-45 to be around the speed limit and not constantly get passed

I read on here the other day to wait until the engine was fully broken in and then add mods one at a time and I really wish I saw that sooner... if for no other reason than to see what performance they truly added, if any...(who knows, I might be going faster with stock parts)

I think this coming weekend, I'm going to throw the BoFeng back on there for giggles and see if there's any performance difference between the HP.... (which I think I finally got in tune... fingers crossed... today it worked like a charm...)

Also , as per forum advice, I switched to conventional oil for break in purposes... I def. feel a difference between conventional valvoline and fully synthetic stabil... feels like it takes a little longer to start (or that could be because of how I tuned the carb... as I did them both yesterday)

Anyhow, as usual I appreciate you all. You guys are awesome. Can't wait to read the comments. I'm glad I found this forum.

I just want to state that the quote below is the most solid advice you have gotten.
Get a phantom if you want those speeds

Allow me to explain why I say that.

First, I have built a couple of YD100's. They are good engines overall, and yes you can get them pretty cheap. I've seen them for 120 bucks for just the engine and around $170-200 for a full kit. If you have the tools you can do the squish gap and port work adjustments to get them to produce more power, and they generally do need a decent amount of port work, especially on the exhaust side, but also on the transfers and intake too. Being a single piece cylinder makes the upper transfer work tricky, if it needs it... which is probaby will.

Assuming you have all the tools to do that work, no cost is added so far (which we know won't be the case) you will still need to add induction (carb and/or reed block) and an expansion chamber to really achieve those speeds beyond 40. I am sure somebody will say they did so without a chamber, and to that person I ask them to provide actual evidence and not an anecdote.

Essentially, to MAYBE do what a Phantom can do 100% bone stock, you will end up spending more money and a lot more time on a YD100.

I get if you want to walk your own path and do your own thing. Maybe, like me, you just like the challenge of taking something inferior and making it hold it's own against something "superior." If that is the case then by all means do it. I love to tinker like that too.

That being said, if you want it as more of a build project then why not do a Minarelli build? Get proper power whilst also having a good project to tinker around with and build.

The truth about the YD100 is that the port timing is better for low end-mid. its easy to think "well a bigger bore means more power and speed" which isn't necessarily accurate. Take a 47mm bore minarelli versus a 47mm 66/69cc, the minarelli will perform night and day in comparison and while there are many factors in play (even the height of the piston rings) it comes down to the aggressive port map that comes on them.

This is why personally I do 47mm-49mm bores, and mod them, aside from the fact I enjoy two piece cylinders, I know what I'm getting into. The only reason to let's say go from a 47mm to a 50mm is in hopes of more speed, they do rev slightly higher don't get me wrong, but the port map is what makes or break it.

Back