YD100

Mugsy13077

Local time
3:17 AM
Speed carb, can't seem to get it to run right. Tried lowering needle, drilling slide deeper, sanding needle. Takes a long time to get to temp before it runs right. Any suggestions.

Some 2t need to be warm before they run right, I have an old chainsaw like that, she screams once warmed up, but getting her there is a little work.

Try moving the needle back up and adjust idle screw.

Try moving the needle back up and adjust idle screw.
Hi Chainlube...I couldn't make heads or tails of what he meant when he said
Tried lowering needle,
I don't know if he meant adjusting the "C" clip up a notch, thereby "lowering the needle" more so into the float, thereby leaning out the mixture, or if he meant lowering the "C" clip, making the needle itself higher, thus making it run more rich ???
For that matter, which of the notches of the four or five available is it at right now...lol.

As far as
drilling slide deeper
I haven't a clue what is meant by that statement...lol...DAMIEN

as far as
sanding needle
I know that usually that shouldn't even be necessary unless there are burrs etc., but changing out the jet to another size maybe what is needed ???...i know...I was born confused...lol...DAMIEN

Speed carb, can't seem to get it to run right. Tried lowering needle, drilling slide deeper, sanding needle. Takes a long time to get to temp before it runs right. Any suggestions.
Right now needle e clip is in the middle. It's standing on its face unless I'm full throttle it pulls like it should. Also standing on its face when cruising speed at any rpm.

Hi Chainlube...I couldn't make heads or tails of what he meant when he said

I don't know if he meant adjusting the "C" clip up a notch, thereby "lowering the needle" more so into the float, thereby leaning out the mixture, or if he meant lowering the "C" clip, making the needle itself higher, thus making it run more rich ???
For that matter, which of the notches of the four or five available is it at right now...lol.

As far as

I haven't a clue what is meant by that statement...lol...DAMIEN

as far as

I know that usually that shouldn't even be necessary unless there are burrs etc., but changing out the jet to another size maybe what is needed ???...i know...I was born confused...lol...DAMIEN
Is there jets in the speed carb? Just the main I believe....

Right now needle e clip is in the middle. It's standing on its face unless I'm full throttle it pulls like it should. Also standing on its face when cruising speed at any rpm.
which of the notches of the four or five available is it at right now
OK...You answered one of the questions...how about the others ???...Explaination of where the clip was before the middle position...drilling slide deeper...why the sanding of the needle, etc...lol.
That would be correct...DAMIEN

When you say "speed carb"...exactly which kind/brand/or designation type carbie are we referring to ???

Yes, you are correct, just the main jet. But, you can get them in different sizes. If you want to try that. I think a fist full of them is 6 bucks.

My newest kit has a speed carb, it's the first one I saw with 5 notches on the metering needle, all the rest had 4.

it's the first one I saw with 5 notches on the metering needle, all the rest had 4.
That was kinda why im asking what carb, as i have seen NT carbies referred to as NT speed carbs by various vendors...When he mentioned "middle" position, it made me think NT...DAMIEN

Not to say ya did something wrong
WOW your brave sanding the taper on the needle and drilling the slide
I figure you thought it needed more air in one place and more fuel in the other
Now your stuck with what you've created. IDK if your carb can ever be tuned correctly now.

Have you sanded the needle and drilled the slide on other carbs before to have them run better.
I'm always interested in suggestions for new ways to improve carb performance.
I know some of these China Carbs can be off with their clearances or spec tolerances

Could you explain your reasoning of why you did these Modifications?

Back