Yet another bike accident...Don't let this happen to you.

DAMIEN1307

Staff member
Local time
7:07 PM
This one from Adelaide, Australia involving a MC and its rider being struck by a car resulting in multiple injuries....Video in the article shows the accident from two different cameras.

A quote from the article:

“It does not matter how good a rider you are, there will always be idiots trying to kill you making proper protective gear not optional,”

That is terrible and it looks like he was "thrown clear" which likely saved his life especially since he had a helmet on. That said, from the second angle it looks like he is going much faster than traffic in his direction and likely visibility of him approaching so fast was blocked by the parallel traffic next to him. another reason not to be too far out in front of the traffic flow.

It makes you wonder what the driver of the car was looking at. Because the dash cam clearly shows an approaching motorcycle. We experienced MB'ers know often even the ones who do see us don't realize how fast we're going and pull out in front of us. I don't assume in situations like this I was seen with a moving vehicle. I slow down and sound my horn to get the driver's attention. When I see them looking straight at me eye to eye; then stopping, at this point I speed back up.

It also appears the rider of the motorcycle saw the turning car but assumed it was going to stop; because it saw him. Two/three wheeled no compartment vehicles have to take defensive driving to a whole lot higher level.

That's very unlucky, I'm just glad the rider survived.

It makes you wonder what the driver of the car was looking at. Because the dash cam clearly shows an approaching motorcycle. We experienced MB'ers know often even the ones who do see us don't realize how fast we're going and pull out in front of us.

If you look at the very first frame, you can see a silver car to the right of the screen. The silver car is turning into the side street. I think the driver who hit the rider, had a glance at the oncoming traffic, didn't see the bike, and then his focus changed to the silver car that was turning into the side street.

It was a rushed decision by the driver, he clearly should have waited until the silver car had fully turned down the side street and then checked the oncoming traffic again.

I don't assume in situations like this I was seen with a moving vehicle. I slow down and sound my horn to get the driver's attention. When I see them looking straight at me eye to eye; then stopping, at this point I speed back up.

Exactly this, treat every car like it's going to pull out in front of you. Focus your attention on the car and observe their behavior. Back off from the gas a little and just coast for a bit and cover your brakes. There will be a point in time at which you can make it safely past them. At this point, even if they were to suddenly pull out in front of you, they wouldn't have enough time to hit you.

It also appears the rider of the motorcycle saw the turning car but assumed it was going to stop; because it saw him. Two/three wheeled no compartment vehicles have to take defensive driving to a whole lot higher level.

By the looks of it, those streets are 60km/hr (37mph). If you look at the petrol station (gas station) camera, you can see the rider trying to steer clear of the car, but it was way too late at that stage.

Ride safe everyone!

2 years ago we had a bike get hit just like that from a truck leaving a parking lot just down the street from my house. The bikers leg was crushed and severed clean off.

This video reminded me of that for one reason. You can clearly see his leg is broken in at least one or two locations as he is flying through the air in front of the car.

No amount of gear will save all of you all of the time, but it gives you a fighting chance to live another day.

Wow. That accident is terrible. Many years ago I heard that some professional motorcycle racers do not ride on the street because it is too unpredictable and dangerous.

OUCH... that hurt. Dude lucked out that corner curb was a rounded pedestrian type. Things could have gone even uglier of it was a standard curb. People not paying attention is the biggest danger to motorcyclists.

Back