Yet Another Bike

...soon...

ScreenHunter 543.jpg

ScreenHunter 544.jpg

PRO-TIP: If you can somehow manage to eliminate the "Amazon App" From your wife's cell phone... ordering parts will be less painful.

A busy mail day today...

The two rims from Grubee are set to arrive... as is the Phantom 85 motor (btw, I think I've decided the new project's name will be "Phan Tom" ;) )...

I got the two pedal sprockets for the Grubee rims yesterday... and the Cateye speedo arrived the day prior.

CDH mounting bracket and arch tensioner (which I may or may not use) will be here Saturday.

Once I mount the current 2.125" tires I have on to both Grubee rims I'll decide on the width of the tires I want to pick up. I want to go as wide as possible without rubbing issues.

I'll likely pick up some sanding stone bits at the local Home Depot.... and go from there.

MAYBE the head won't need much work... MAYBE it'll be silky smooth and nicely made.

MAYBE... haha..

EDIT: Oh, and I managed to sell another PCB I wasn't using for six bills giving me plenty of "fun money" to work with.

EDIT #2: UPS arrived & both rims & motor kit arrived. All appear fine (at least the boxes do)...

OK... I opened the rims. They were amazingly packaged. I will post pix later. I did come across one item of concern.

These rims... unlike every other rim I've ever seen (or payed attention to) ... are not "continuous"... what I mean is that there is a seam where one side of the "circle" is welded (in some fashion) to the other side. To say I was surprised seeing this is an understatement. I've not seen that before.

I am concerned that the seam isn't as strong as the rest... but of more concern is that I can "feel" the seam along the rim where the my rim brakes will be rubbing. I am left to assume that edge is going to prematurely wear my rim-brake pads down.

Does anyone here have these rims? Do you experience issues with rim brakes using them?

Again, I'll post a pic when I have a chance to take one.

EDIT: I have found nothing but praise for these rims. I suspect my concern is unwarranted.

EDIT #2: Here is a photo of the area of concern... I can "feel" that seam on the cnc rim edge...

RIMSEAM1.jpg

Gru-Bee charges a bit for shipping ($39.00 for me). But it's worth every penny...

Package of two rims:

RIMS1.jpg

This is what you are greeted with when you open up your rim box...

RIMS2.jpg

This is what pulls out of said box...

RIMS3.jpg

...and this is what's inside it all...

RIMS4.jpg

Easily one of the best packing jobs for a specialized project like this. Well worth the money...

I'd inquired to Grubee just in case re: the seam and they tell me every rim has one.

Call me crazy... but I'm not seeing a seam on any of my other rims here...all perfectly smooth all the way around.

Anyway, as long as it's not going to be a problem... it's not a problem.

:D

My eyes are getting bad... while each rim IS perfectly smooth all the way around (well almost perfectly)... I can find seams on them if I put my glasses on and look real close. I can not FEEL the seam with my finger... but my nail will barely hang. The seam on every rim I own (minus these new ones) is nearly invisible.

I couldn't care less other than the fact that I'm not sure how that seam isn't going to eat up my brake pad. They actually suggested I try sanding the seam?!? Huh... sand the CNC striped texture seam??

Sure remove any rough surface the welding of the seam might of left. inside and outside of the rim
From the pics you show it don't look very rough to me
But clean it up to your satisfaction

Back