YIKES!! it runs great but won't stop

jroyse

Local time
11:21 PM
2nd bike build. This is a Schwinn springer cruiser type Which was a real pain to build. After help from all of you its finally done. Had to fab motor mounts & move the motor 1/2 inch left. Also moved the rear sprocket left about 1/4. Bent the left pedal crank to clear engine, now the chain clears the tire.
Only one problem left... I need way better brakes. Rear coaster is very poor.
Can I add a front brake of sorts? Maybe a disk?

forgot the picture

hope this works. somebody tell me if it don't

Attachments

• 100_2809.jpg
    100_2809.jpg
    121.5 KB · Views: 210
First off do something with those fenders, before the supports break (most all do over time) and puts you to the pavement. Very nice clean looking ride.

Looks nice, but Al Fisherman is right. My fender brackets broke, but I didn't wreck. Additional braceing is needed and lock nuts and locktite and gorillal glue on that. Good luck. Louis

To put a disk on the front you would have to get a front hub that has a flange for the disk itself to bolt onto. then, you'd have to weld a cailper bracket to the front forks. This all could get pricey because you'd have to either buy a rim with a disk brake ready hub, buy a disk brake hub and have it laced to your rim, have someone (or yourself) weld the caliper bracket to the forks correctly and then re-paint. and then you'd have to buy a disk and a brake caliper.
personally i think your best option is a caliper brake (front or back). You could look into a bmx style U brake (which is like a caliper brake, but works 10 times better) but i'm not sure if the frame or forks would accept one.

Get a good quality front caliper brake and mount it through the front fender mount hole on the forks... get extended shoes for it. Between that and the coaster brake, you will have adequate stopping power.
the Old Sgt.

thanks for the suggestions. I have ordered 4 Whizzer braces to stabilize the fenders. Still thinking about brakes. I dont get why the coaster brake is so poor. Maybe cause its just a cheapo? I'm looking at adapting a disc brake from a mini bike to the front or rear.

I'm with the Old Sgt. on the front brake and I'm sure you can do it on the rear also. It looks like the fender is already dimpled to clear a caliper.
I would also take that rear hub apart and see what's wrong back there.
All my bikes are coaster brakes and set right, I don't have trouble with any of them.

OK I think its fixed

Took the bike apart again. Added new fender braces and replaced the old ones. Now I have nice solid fenders. Thanks for the tip. Messed with the brakes and found one of the spacers I had welded on was loose. I need welding lessons. Welded it one more time and now I have pretty good brakes. I can even lock up the wheel. Rode around the neighborhood till I got freezin cold and everything worked great.
Thanks guys for all your help.

Back