Your advice on ETC New Century Electric Bicycle

JFK

Local time
10:18 PM
I have a opportunity to purchase a ETC New Century Electric Bicycle for $90

http://largoscooters.com/etcbikes.html

Everything I have read about this bike is negative and even the owner told me to test drive it before I buy it.

But maybe this bike and/or drive has potential for a cheap mod.

I like that the batteries are 12 volt and is removable, it also uses a friction drive, and maybe I can upgrade the electric motor with a cheap but more powerful motor without too much trouble.

Your input would be appreciated.

I'll venture a comment or two though I know nothing about that particular brand.

For $90 why not unless that represents a hardship, of course.
The frame looks a bit lightweight and I wouldn't expect much in the way of components but hey, a low price entry into the world of power assit.
As far as converting to an IC engine at some point,I wouldn't be surprised to see limited options in that regard. The light duty eBikes I've seen, especially friction drive, have components that are designed for very lower power and torque, however you could evaluate that more on closer inspection.

Thanks for your input Happy Valley

I'm going to go check it out tomorrow, and I expect that it will be very cheaply made. This Electric bike new is $450, so I get what I pay for but worst case I'm out a hundred bucks, so it's a gamble that I won't feel too badly about if I lose.

I have two other motorized bikes so this would be more of something to play around with then something I will have to rely on.

Thanks for your thoughts on the matter :)

Back