youtube video of the gas/electric

Very stealth. Too bad your local laws made you go to those extremes. You score some major points for creativity professor!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9C3h9VojLxo my homemade exhaust.. you can hear it at the same point as the car near the trees it passes.. good but i am going to shoot for silent next...i will be trying a tiny car muffler.. 6 inches wide by twelve inches long and yes i will be keeping the stock exhaust pipe also

Well done Prof, dig the concealment of the gas motor. Mind telling me what amp/hour the 12V batteries are?

Sure Red, these are 9ah, they came from some 110 back-up system for computers, I think that in order to keep the batteries at full charge, the rpm of the gas engine will need to be higher during cruise. But I like the low noise level (comparitively) the way I am doing it.
And Thine,the more muffling- the better, and the longer the whole system- the better. My first muffler is a self- built glass lined deal that is not straight thru, and the little 3 1/2 hp Briggs on the end does help a little.
There is very little noise coming from the exhaust. I do hear engine clatter, typical of a air cooled 4 stroke.
Yeah, Denny, it really was a lot of work- kind of a pioneering effort like you did.
Thanks for the comments guys!

Automotive type alternators are not known for their efficiency, as there is plenty of HP to waste in a typical automotive application. Cost is their main concern.

Maybe using an alternator from a motorcycle (like a GSX-R) would be more lightweight and more efficient? Or for low RPM output, couple the engine to a homemade PM alternator made for windmills. I remember reading about someone using a volvo brake rotor and magnets to make a high output, low RPM alternator.

You are right about alternator efficiency, I knew that going in to this project, however, other means of on-board DC power are in the unobtanium category for me.
There are permanent magnet stators available (about $125) for converting Delco 10SI alternators for wind mill use. But they will not help efficiency.

I have no clue what the actual fuel mileage for the bike is, but I think it is probably better than my old Prism. Now, if New York would join the twenty first century and make gas bikes legal, I would strip off all this e-stuff in a heartbeat. As it is, the Gov. still has to sign the E-bike thing into law, and he is currently up to his eyebrows in dog-poo.

Back