zbox 4 stroke==what do the 4strokers think of this kit??

D

djase10

Hi all
Ive been into the 2stroke thing for a couple of years now,
and wanted to dabble with 4strokes,
BUT
due to availability & MOSTLY COST, i havnt..

BUT
now ZBOX has a kit at $450 +$20p&h..=Z50C---- 142F-1-G

I'm "SORT OF" tempted.

The kit has NO GEAR BOX included..

what do the experienced 4 strokers think of this PARTICULAR KIT??

I know that some of our American members may have seen this kit in the times before the GRUBEE gearbox became mainstream..

I can sense a "series 2 " version of the kit within 6 months.

I dont want to jump the gunn, but if the unit is solid -with no issues i just may..

What are the thoughts of my fellow members on this?
Predictions??

http://www.zbox.com.au/4-stroke-kit.htm

Thanks
Regards jase

Attachments

• z50-c.jpg
    z50-c.jpg
    60.3 KB · Views: 786
Last edited by a moderator:
No Gearbox???

Hi well I'd love to see one installed because the gear ratio will NOT work from a 10tooth at the engine to the 44-56 at the rear.

The engines are far better than the 2-stroke, the questions are in the gearbox/drivetrain.

Mike

Even though you don't see it featured in the photo I believe there is a Hoot gear box included with this kit. I believe it is mounted to the engine in the photo used to illustrate the kit. It just dosen't make any sense that it dosen't have one. If you look closely at the photo just below the Carb & air Cleaner I thik you are looking at the back side of said gearbox. Use the link above and study the photo of the engine installed on the bike below the engine specs. Even though it's in a heavy shadow you can just make out the driver sprocket on the gear box. This kit does include the Hoot Gear Box.

ocscully

Last edited:
Two more 4stroke kits for Australia

Thanks ocscully, HoughMade

Yep NOW i see it -in the shadow, A HOOt gearbox yeah...

Wow the AFFORDABLE 4stroke kits are coming out the woodwork!!

2 more kits for Australia=
=1 includes a freewheel rear hub-- (in Melbourne) he also sells NE5 whizzer.

the 2nd (direct from china) =FREE POSTAGE
includes the WHOLE back wheel with a FREE-wheel hub INSTALLED!!

3rd picture is the gearbox of the chinese seller (is this the HOOT box?)

##############################
I still welcome the comments from the 4strokers about -
these kits
the hoot gearbox
& the free-wheel hub

thanks
Jase

Attachments

• 1c0e_1.JPG
    1c0e_1.JPG
    23 KB · Views: 604
  • 49cc5.jpg
    49cc5.jpg
    71.9 KB · Views: 638
  • 49ML.jpg
    49ML.jpg
    61.9 KB · Views: 594
Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks ocscully, HoughMade

Yep NOW i see it -in the shadow, A HOOt gearbox yeah...

Wow the AFFORDABLE 4stroke kits are coming out the woodwork!!

2 more kits for Australia=
=1 includes a freewheel rear hub-- (in Melbourne) he also sells NE5 whizzer.

the 2nd (direct from china) =FREE POSTAGE
includes the WHOLE back wheel with a FREE-wheel hub INSTALLED!!

3rd picture is the gearbox of the chinese seller (is this the HOOT box?)

##############################
I still welcome the comments from the 4strokers about -
these kits
the hoot gearbox
& the free-wheel hub

thanks
Jase

The first thing I notice about the two kits shown here is the kit in photo #2 has an adjustable motor mount (adjustable for length) like the GRUBEE kits but this mount appears to be all steel rather than the aluminum ends that the GRUBEE mount comes with. The Freewheeling rear hub I believe is generally a good thing, but I've read in threads here that you need to be able to get 12g spokes minimum to build them into a wheel. The spoke holes in the hub flanges are quite large and the heads of 14g spokes slip right thru them.

The Hoot Gear Box has given members here some problems the keys seem to be a substandard grade and shear off? This seems like a pretty easy fix, by purchasing a better quality key at the local hardware store or lawnmower repair shop. The Clutch bells have come apart on a couple of members kits as well. But alot of these kits have been sold and folks seem to be happy with them and if its whats readily available give it a shot.

ocscully

Yes the final pic is a hoot gearbox. I had bad luck with those last year. I believe they have redesigned it with crosscut gears that is supposed to be better than the original release that I had. I like the idea of the kit coming with a freewheeling rear hub or wheel automatically. I wish we could get those here in the US. If the Grubee gearbox isn't available, definitely get one with a freewheel on it. Mine was solid state and any time the wheel moved, the gears were also moving. It seems like all of the kits have the hoot gearbox so I would go with one that has a freewheel.

Yes the final pic is a hoot gearbox. I had bad luck with those last year. I believe they have redesigned it with crosscut gears that is supposed to be better than the original release that I had. I like the idea of the kit coming with a freewheeling rear hub or wheel automatically. I wish we could get those here in the US. If the Grubee gearbox isn't available, definitely get one with a freewheel on it. Mine was solid state and any time the wheel moved, the gears were also moving. It seems like all of the kits have the hoot gearbox so I would go with one that has a freewheel.

Don't think they are offering the freewheel rear hub. The Hoot GB can't take a freewheel drive sprocket even if you had one because there isn't room to fit it. The tray won't fit any cruiser I like - too short to span the distance but the engine can take a Grubee GB so now all the motors have the same shafts and keys. Gearbox has no gasket and the oil inlet hole is so small you need a syringe to fill it. The 3 piece cranks are a big problem with kiddy length crankshafts so pedalling is seriously hard. Also you need a $60 converter to fit the Euro bb on a Schwinn cruiser but 3 piece cranks aren't just a problem with this kit cos they are offered with most kits now, Engines are great and a freewheel rear hub would be a great optional extra as would a decent sized engine tray - preferably adjustable.
Kill switches, chains, fuel cocks etc. well they are just the pits in all kits these days but you can usually replace these with decent ones from stores.

Irish, what is the center to center demension of the "kiddy" cranks? I got a three piece set of cranks (actually just the two cranks and the sprocket) and they were the same length (about 6"?) as the OEM on my Schwinn Searcher.

Jim

Back