zbox/happytime?

suspect

Local time
5:55 AM
can i get some comments please on this clip which explains some of the issues a guy has had here in NZ with the zbox, what im most curious about is; are their actually any different motor manufacturers?
and, if not, is your american(chinese) 'happy time' motor the same thing?
it certainly appears to me that it is, i was wondering if anybody has any inside info they might like to share, im new to all this so hopefully im not stepping on toes and bringing up old beef.

ive just bought one of these motors and am hoping im not about to get a dud, i was aware there was some risk, but i foolishly paid BEFORE i watched this video... but i feel i can console myself with the thought that this is ONE guys experience, and much of his problems can be avoided by thoroughly checking the motor before use - or so i hope?

edit- opps forgot clip http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S-nfS1-A4Ec
here is a link to his blog where he has some beef with an aussie(what did he expect? haha)
http://zbox-70cc.blogspot.com/

Last edited:
There are 3 different Chinese factories producing these engines.
All the engines look darn near identical on the outside.
The difference in quality of construction between the 3 factories is great.

For the most part, yes.
If you stick with the better respected vendors you will get a better product and support. They did not get their respect by screwing over customers or frequently selling junk in a box.
No matter where you get your kit from, you will have to withstand some shoddy quality control on the part of the manufacturer.
IE: Most all gas tanks have rust in them. Most all chains are low quality.
Quite a few need carburetor adjustment before they will run right.
Alot have the clutch frozen up, caused from sitting on a shelf for months on end. Some clutches need adjustment to operate properly. Some are assembles a bit wierd.
All of the above issues are very easy to repair.

Please consider that you are paying dirt cheap prices for a dirt cheap engine.
Dirt usually needs work before it will shine.
That is what attracts of alot of very happy MB owners.
They like to tinker. These engines are perhaps the most basic, simple design you can possibly work on.
Changing a lightbulb in some outdoor garden fixtures can be more difficult that rebuilding a clutch assembly in these engines.
They are that simple.

hey thanx mate, thats what i wanted to hear, i was just suffering a bit of buyers remorse as i am pretty broke and had to save to get that motor, spending all my available cash to get it(just borrowed a $20 for a bottle of cheap port to entertain me tonight)
im not worried about working on the motor, and am keen to play with it and get it to work better, just seen a 1000watt Crystalyte hub motor(no battery)go for exactly double the cost of the zbox kit and i was starting to wonder if i shouldnt have saved a bit more... considering the likely life of this motor...

but at the end of the day, by the time this thing craps out il probably have teh resource to get a pitbike motor and not look back.

The HT style engines have been known for lasting 100 feet to 3000+ miles.
You just never know.
A reputable vendor will warranty any problems within the warranty time.
That is usually long enough to determine wether or not the engine is a good one or a lemon.
Expect 2000 miles or so out of a good one.

oh im in NZ mate, we have the consumer guarantees act, that means if it breaks within.. well the loosely defined 'reasonable' period, then you get your money back, warranties are for people who dont know the law.
basically, if the motor doesnt do what its meant to do, i can and will get my cash back.

gday suspect, ive had a few zbox motors, warren has sold many and i think he has a handle on quality control. but quality control could fade at any time. that said you should get a decent run. make sure you check all bolts on a regular basis, lots of vibration on these motors.

have fun rubber side down!

chur, il look after it, if it breaks down and its my fault im not the sort to whinge about it.
just been burnt by the internet before...
guy who sold me a cruiser bike had damaged it badly and left me to find out the hard way.

Back