In New Mexico a motorized bicycle falls under the category of a moped. A moped is defined as a vehicle with:
- 2 to 3 wheels
- 50cc or less
- top speed less than 30mph
- automatic transmission
To ride a motorized bicycle in New Mexico you need to have a Class D drivers license.
You do not need to title, register or insure a motorized bicycle to ride it on public roads in New Mexico.
If your motorized bicycle exceeds the criteria specified above, you will need to register it just like a motorcycle.
Other Motorized Bicycle Laws
- A helmet is not required.
- You must wear eye protection.
- A headlight and taillight is required for nighttime use.
- You must also have a working brake light.