12 Volt Lighting System Challenge

• Thread starter Deleted Member 4613
  • Start date
lights!

hi all...funny to see this one surface again, i remember wondering back then where it was gonna go, if anywhere...this place has spawned some successful ideas products & businesses, but it's usually all out there for everyone to see & make for yourself if you're so inclined. anyways...

i also use a basic SLA-based setup. the ONLY reason i'm using 24V instead of 12V is because i already have an original us pro-drive 24V battery pack & smart-charger both in excellent condition. because of places like electricscooterparts i've been able to stock up on 24V/21W bulbs that fit my raptor headlight fairing, and i scored some 24V red-LED's on the 'bay to fit the old honda hobbit taillight. when the day comes when i can't maintain the 24V system, i'll just rewire the pack for 12V and get new bulbs & another charger.

i "sorta" envy full turn- & brake-light setups, the parts are easy enuff to score. i also wish i felt the need for a horn, also easily done. but for my personal preference, i simply chose what i liked best for my style of MB-Riding: a serious headlight and taillight that just may convince a cop that i can be trusted to be careful, and the fact that i've habitualized, and enjoy, using hand signals...it feels so "bicycle-ly" and kinda old-fashioned.

this setup gives me over 5 hours of motorcycle-grade runtime. there are pics on my personal site if you're interested.

imo, until someone comes up with universal onboard charging, MB'ing at large can't benefit or do any better than is already available for bicycles...but if you use a bicycle-grade light, you will be perceived as a bicycle going at bicycle-speeds...nuff sed. good MB-lighting is still in the realm of the DIY'er, and i have seen some very impressive systems posted here.

the currently available SLA components are WELL-WORTH the weight & "trouble" of remembering to plug in the charger when you get there.

what i always imagined someone coming up with was a universal HD roller generator...see the link below for a few good community attempts at that.

for the beginner, here's a very early thread about putting together a basic sla-lighting system, once you figure out it's as easy as hooking up a stereo, you'll be able to add horn, brake & turn signals: http://www.motoredbikes.com/showthread.php?t=6581

this is our "universal" battery mount, easily fab'd but welding required, a simple wedge concept that works great with front suspension...the only thing anchoring this is zip-ties, and it's even survived a wreck:
MVC-001F.JPG

btw-for anyone looking for "dash lights"...try some LED license-plate bolts :)

For those of us who are trying to envision what the local authors here are working towards, this site may be of value:

http://www.los-gatos.ca.us/davidbu/pedgen.html

David goes a step further in his demonstrations. Instead of charging a battery-like capacitor, he converts the DC voltage back into United States voltage and frequency (110 volts at 60 Hz; same as the US house wall socket) and puts it to use.

Maybe some ideas can be taken from his work already done....

MikeJ

Last edited:
Back