$350 or less project bike

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by Greggl4321, Dec 10, 2015.

1. Greggl4321

Greggl4321 New Member

I have a rockabiliy boogy from electra, I really like the style. What's a bike I could get cheap and put a motor on it for under 350

2. bakaneko

bakaneko Active Member

Well, the 66 2-stroke motor kits run about $100-120 on eBay and you can pick up a decent bike from Walmart for under $100 that has a similar style. Although, I would pay special attention and pay a little extra for good brakes.
  3. Nanonevol

Nanonevol Member

motorize the boogie?
  4. Greggl4321

Greggl4321 New Member

Would that not work? Or would that just ruin a good pedal bicycle? I notice it doesn't exactly have a v frame.

What's a good v frame bicycle that would be easy to mount to. And comfortable to ride. Please help, I really want to get a ride going
  5. crassius

crassius Well-Known Member

no bike is all that easy for a first build - get something with gears and 2 good brakes, work carefully, and read a lot here to avoid most of the noob mistakes
  6. Nanonevol

Nanonevol Member

I was looking for a bike to motorize and found a Specialized Rock Hopper on Craigs list. Liked it too much as a bike to put the motor on. LOL! Then found a Huffy Cranbrook and motorized that. People have motorized the weird looking Rockabilly bikes though if you search Google images.
  7. Greggl4321

Greggl4321 New Member

I didn't see any motorized rockabiliy boogies.

Why do you say they look weird? They look cool
  8. Greggl4321

Greggl4321 New Member

Will these be similar to riding a 50cc motor scooter???
  9. Nanonevol

Nanonevol Member

Ok, if you like the look, great! The point is you could motorize it and it has been done but consider as I did that once you do, you'll never really want to pedal it anymore with that heavy internal cumbustion engine on it. It becomes a different beast altogether. I bought my Cranbrook for $40 on Craigslist. I happen to think the cruiser bikes looks kind of "cool" in a *** sort of way. I like the bare bones looks and simplicity of it. If I was to do it again I might look for a deal on a decent mountain bike with front suspension and V brakes. But then you have the complicated deuraillers and brakes to deal with as well as the motor power to keep adjusted and tuned. I went for the simplicity this time.