4 stroke: chain or belt transmission (Lots of questions!)

Your entitled to your opinion. Quenton is always happy to give out advice to new M/B builders. Cubey might benefit form Quentons experience

I wrote to that company several times and never
got an answer. I rate them: Out-of-business and
their invention a relic of the past.

I wrote to that company several times and never
got an answer. I rate them: Out-of-business and
their invention a relic of the past.
Yea you could be right, They might be out of business. I know Quentons wife died (may she rest in peace) last year. He shut EZ M/B down. He may never of re opened. + M/B tec got better

Yes, that is what I have been saying. The suppliers
of 49cc strokes now all offer motors with clutches installed, and
these don't fit the q-matic trans. So I don't see a business
model for q-matics. With the clutches installed the options
are many, from belt drives to chain drives, and it's easier to
change the drive ratios. The q-matic is q-dead.

There's also another transmission other than belt or chain drives. It's the strongest transmission of them all a gear drive.

20210814_091004.jpg

As far as 4 stroke kits... I have noticed that some have what looks like a plastic trans cover:
View attachment 95665

While others show metal:

View attachment 95666

I think the difference is the plastic cover is a belt drive, while the metal cover is chain? Googling the two, belt seems preferable due to no stretching and less noise?

However, I'm thinking chain might be better since it's more sealed up, and you can load it up with grease. Belt looks more open and exposed to the elements and might wear out faster. How hard is it to get the good belts? Doing a generic search for bike replacement belt shows me ones that are questionable if they'd fit. They would probably be faster/easier to replace than a chain but not last as long, I'm guessing. But least chains are more readily available and more universal than belts.

I have seen the dual chain transmissions for sale...
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Parts-for-49cc-engine-motorized-Bike-4-stroke-DOUBLE-CHAIN-GEAR-BOX-TRANSMISSION/132376574786

As well as this kit that has a title saying it comes with "double chain", but it doesn't show the transmission:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08138QVZL/
I bought a belt drive to upgrade my bicycle was bought as a single chain so I belt drive was the only thing I could get but I'm telling you the torque and everything is better than the single chain I don't know about the double chain cuz I tried one of those but it wouldn't fit on the bike cuz I bought it as a single chain but I can't say the belt drives good as hell one good thing about it is there's less maintenance and all you really got to change out is a belt I mean nothing's really hard to change out out of a belt drive

Links to eBay may include affiliate code. If you click on an eBay link and make a purchase, this forum may earn a small commission.
Links to Amazon may include affiliate code. If you click on an Amazon link and make a purchase, this forum may earn a small commission.
I bought a belt drive to upgrade my bicycle was bought as a single chain so I belt drive was the only thing I could get but I'm telling you the torque and everything is better than the single chain I don't know about the double chain cuz I tried one of those but it wouldn't fit on the bike cuz I bought it as a single chain but I can't say the belt drives good as hell one good thing about it is there's less maintenance and all you really got to change out is a belt I mean nothing's really hard to change out out of a belt drive
What I meant to say is I can tell you a belt drive is better I might have to check my stuff with the spell check cuz I'm speaking into my phone

are there any out there equipped with a cvt belt drive? You know, like Honda scooters?

Back