49cc decal?

Hand stamping

True: But hand stamped usually look hand stamped!

No not if you take your time, draw some lines, and line them up...I have made many parts for military contracts, yachts, Westinghouse, etc. all hand stamped...Just ordered a 60/80 CC motor..will be stamping a 49 CC plate for that..hope Augi dosent read this

49cc mag cover

I've had no problems so far running my 80cc engines, but sooner or later Big Brother is gonna catch on and start handing out tickets. (just my opinion). I've also been thinking about "marking" my engines with some kind of plate or sticker. Spookytooth I think has the best solution for this. It's a mag cover with a permanent stamp in the metal. But for $20 + shipping and California sales tax I'll wait till I really need it.
Big Red.
http://spookytoothcycles.com/compon...age=vmj_ace.tpl&product_id=600&category_id=98

It's a bit strange discussions like this. I visit a number of car and motorcycle sites and I've ever seen talk about how it's okay to alter data plates, stampings on engines or fudge ID or VIN numbers. I not sure if that's because motored bikes are just a novelty to most people and they think they really won't rate much scrutiny as a legitimate vehicle class or they think law enforcement is stupid. At any rate, isn't the right and easiest thing to do, to just comply with the regs as they're stated?

49cc cover

Yes Richard, I could put a 49cc engine on my bike, Gear it so it will get my fat rear end off the line, then do all of 20mph. I can peddle a bike 20mph, for a minute anyway, So why don't I just give up and throw my engines away.(NEVER HAPPEN!!!)
YES, I use the 66cc engines, YES, it is a whole 17cc over the limit. But then, YES, I ride at the speed limit. YES, I wear a helmet and obey all traffic laws. I've NEVER been hassled over the size of my engine BECAUSE of my riding style. Also both of my bikes have headlights, tail lights, brake lights, horn and turn signals. When the day comes that the cops start sweating me over 17cc I'll probably be too old to ride anyway.
With all that said, My tadpole trike IS a 49cc. It's a little dangerous to ride because it's so slow off the line. It's has a standard goped motor and hits around 30mph. So, The legal one is the dangerous one. The illegal one is MUCH safer to ride. I'll take safer anyday.
I was only THINKING about putting the 49cc plate on. Really, I don't think anyone cares that much about the size of my engines. Now if I was running a 250cc on it they might notice, BUT, Like I said, It's a WHOLE 17cc over. And for now, NOBODY CARES.
Big Red.

!)
YES, I use the 66cc engines, YES, it is a whole 17cc over the limit. BUT, Like I said, It's a WHOLE 17cc over. And for now, NOBODY CARES.
Big Red.
CA codes do not mention the size of the motor in cc's or in any other way.
There is NO 49 cc code in California.
If you think there is please show me where it says that.

CVC code says "motor with less than 2 gross brake horsepower"

and you are right that NOBODY CARES. :D

Yes Richard, I could put a 49cc engine on my bike, Gear it so it will get my fat rear end off the line, then do all of 20mph. I can peddle a bike 20mph, for a minute anyway, So why don't I just give up and throw my engines away.(NEVER HAPPEN!!!)
YES, I use the 66cc engines, YES, it is a whole 17cc over the limit. But then, YES, I ride at the speed limit. YES, I wear a helmet and obey all traffic laws. I've NEVER been hassled over the size of my engine BECAUSE of my riding style. Also both of my bikes have headlights, tail lights, brake lights, horn and turn signals. When the day comes that the cops start sweating me over 17cc I'll probably be too old to ride anyway.
With all that said, My tadpole trike IS a 49cc. It's a little dangerous to ride because it's so slow off the line. It's has a standard goped motor and hits around 30mph. So, The legal one is the dangerous one. The illegal one is MUCH safer to ride. I'll take safer anyday.
I was only THINKING about putting the 49cc plate on. Really, I don't think anyone cares that much about the size of my engines. Now if I was running a 250cc on it they might notice, BUT, Like I said, It's a WHOLE 17cc over. And for now, NOBODY CARES.
Big Red.

Red my comments were general and not directed at you so don't take it personal. Everybody wants an exception or thinks they have reason. You state no one should mind 17cc over, another guy thinks 79cc is okay, another thinks 99cc or 160 or 212cc is, and so on. Some will think it should be unlimited. One truth I see often side-stepped on these forums is that many just want a cheap motorcycle and avoid having to register, insure and license it. That kind of motive won't go unobserved by the legal agencies and legislative bodies for very long. Mark my words, we have a good thing with MBs as long as a certain amount of restraint and self-regulation is used but if the 'mission creep' toward illegal motorcycles continues we'll see it strangled with regulation. It happened in NY state and just recently in Washington state.

My initial comments though were in response to altering engine data or making up ID numbers like I've seen. I don't care how anyone slices it, in any other class of motor vehicle doing such is a fairly serious criminal act.

CA codes do not mention the size of the motor in cc's or in any other way.
There is NO 49 cc code in California.
If you think there is please show me where it says that.

CVC code says "motor with less than 2 gross brake horsepower"

and you are right that NOBODY CARES. :D

2 gross brake horsepower = aprox. 49cc. I guess you could get a 33cc to put out that much. Or you could de-tune a 500ci engine to only put out 2 GBH. Generally speaking though, if yer talking 2 GBH yer talking about a 49 or 50cc engine. Pretty much anything bigger will put out more than 2 GBH. The next step up is the 66cc and we know fer sure those are not legal in California. So, of course I know it does not SPECIFICALLY mention motor size, But can you think of an engine larger than a 49 or perhaps a 50cc engine that would be legal in California. So when I say 49cc I'm only talking about the popular engines that put out around 2 GBH and are legal in California. But, I don't think I want to take my 66cc down to 2 GBH just to make it legal because, and we do agree on this, Nobody cares.
Big Red.

Red my comments were general and not directed at you so don't take it personal. Everybody wants an exception or thinks they have reason. You state no one should mind 17cc over, another guy thinks 79cc is okay, another thinks 99cc or 160 or 212cc is, and so on. Some will think it should be unlimited. One truth I see often side-stepped on these forums is that many just want a cheap motorcycle and avoid having to register, insure and license it. That kind of motive won't go unobserved by the legal agencies and legislative bodies for very long. Mark my words, we have a good thing with MBs as long as a certain amount of restraint and self-regulation is used but if the 'mission creep' toward illegal motorcycles continues we'll see it strangled with regulation. It happened in NY state and just recently in Washington state.

My initial comments though were in response to altering engine data or making up ID numbers like I've seen. I don't care how anyone slices it, in any other class of motor vehicle doing such is a fairly serious criminal act.

I think yer right about how some people can go overboard with things like this. And I don't really take too much said on the site personal
There's always gonna be outlaw bikers in one form or another. I'm just a little bit of one myself. I've rode the 2 gross brake horsepower engines ( I was chastised for calling it a 49cc) and it is just way to slow off the line to be safe for me. If I lost 80lbs it would work, but with my health problems I don't think it's gonna happen. Perhaps after my NEXT double by-pass.
The ONLY lie I told to DMV was about 1hp. If thats the only lie I ever tell in my life I'm doing well I think.
AND HEY DMV,:whistle: The guy that sold me the engine SAID it was a 49cc.:giggle:(oops, I mean 2 gross brake horsepower.)
Big Red.

The laws for MB's fall in a grey area, and I doubt that a judge will spend as much time as I did looking them up, especially if the judge already knows them. No matter how many times I read them I couldn't find a winning situation. I did discover that "lighting" is "Motor Vehicle Code," and is the same for all motor vehicles, except a scooter, which only requires a head light visible for 300 ft.
Now all I need is turn signals, and it will almost be ready to register, and like Red stated "I'll take safety any day."

I saw a link to the husheng manual on this forum somewhere.

http://www.motoredbikes.com/showthread.php?37217-Huasheng-F142-Owner-s-Manual-(get-yours-here)

Back