80cc Bike Kit on a Wal-Mart 700c Thruster Fixie Bike

Hey!
This is a build thread for my 80cc kit (black) and it's instillation of a Thruster Fixie.
So far, I have built the engine (from parts), installed it on the bike, ordered and installed new grips, mounted the sprocket on the back wheel, sized the chain, and most importantly broken one of my cylinder bolts in half, and am now waiting for a new one in the mail.
Here are the pictures of the build. I will upload more when it's finished, (next week or in 2 weeks)
I will also make a video and post a link when done!

IMG_0304.jpg2hyf2iw.jpgIMG_0299.jpg6zm2r9.jpg14izal3.jpg11s37o5.jpg

All progress will be simply put into the OP as an update, so you all don't need to scroll through to find updates.

Thanks!

Emilio

Attachments

• IMG_0305.jpg
    IMG_0305.jpg
    90.9 KB · Views: 1,316
Yeah, i have a thruster that I ride quite a bit, and I had considered motorizing it, but I backed out because I really wasnt sure how well the thruster wheels and frame would hold to the engine. Glad to see that it actually does work out alright. What size sprocket are you using? How well does the engine handle steep hills turning those 700c wheels?

I'm also building my project on this frame. I like how you fit the sprocket, I was also thinking about doing this.

I had a Thruster type fixie motorized bike and, though I got it to work rather well, I would not advise it.

Two main problems: the chainline is very tight. I had to work some crazy spacers on the left side dropout to keep my 415 chain out of the seatstay. I had considerable damage to the frame caused by chainwhip. The spacers also warped the rear triangle which prevented a good centering of the rear wheel in the frame. I never did get a proper chainline and when "freewheeling" (the motor chain riding thru the disengaged clutch) it was never a good smooth movement.

Yes, it worked but it was far from optimal.

Second problem: 700c wheels. I did my build on 700c wheels with smooth Continental touring tires. Yes, the ride was good and smooth but there is no room for error. With the added weight and speed it is just asking for pinch flats. I had so many flats and, even when things were going well, you have to be super careful about avoiding any kind of bump, pothole, crack,expansion joint, etc. It's not worth it!

If you want any kind of reliability, you have to have thick mountain bike style tires with good rim tape and, better yet, thick flat-resistant inner tubes.

Good luck!

I have since upgraded things on my fixie, I found an awesome tire combo and have more rubber on the road. I have logged over 6,000 miles on this bike so it has been upgraded and modified as repairs were needed. I went through 5 different brands of tires before I found this set of Michelin that work awesome and are indestructible. I cant remember the inner tubes I'm using but they also seem indestructible. Of the research I have done it seems hit or miss, some people have awesome luck with the fixie bikes, others not so much.

Back